Firmware Thread - Current ver: 24.01-08.60.00

Can we now store and play PS5 games from external HDD/SSD?

EDIT - Ignore, I think I found you can't. Just read two conflicting reports on it. I will just get a cheaper external drive to use with PS4 games then

Can we now store and play PS5 games from external HDD/SSD?

EDIT - Ignore, I think I found you can't. Just read two conflicting reports on it. I will just get a cheaper external drive to use with PS4 games then
You can store PS5 games on external but you can't play them.

• You can now see your wireless controller's battery percentage in the control centre.

1st World Problem, but anyone else not seeing this? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, still showing as the old "3 bar" battery icon?

1st World Problem, but anyone else not seeing this? Unless I'm looking in the wrong place, still showing as the old "3 bar" battery icon?

Your not looking in the wrong place, it's not there at all, it seems either the patch notes mentioned something that was going to be there at a later date by mistake or the feature was pulled at the last moment, either way we will have to wait for a further update for this to arrive if sony still wants to use it.

I’m trying to transfer borderlands 3 on ps5 to my external hdd but when its just about to finish I get an error code CE-100002-3 .I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling but with the same result .Any ideas ?

CE-100002-3

Failed to update the application.
This from a user who has same error with cod

UPDATE: FIX!!!!! If you have an external drive, just transfer it over and since the update is downloaded, it all transfers over. Once transferred, hit install and it will finish installing and work. Then just transfer back over!

Hi thanks for your help ,I’m going to download the PS4 version to my external hdd and then try and update it to the ps5 version . I’ve downloaded the ps5 version again and tested it before transferring it to the external and it worked fine .then tried to transfer It to the external and it says something went wrong

I’m trying to transfer borderlands 3 on ps5 to my external hdd but when its just about to finish I get an error code CE-100002-3 .I’ve tried deleting and reinstalling but with the same result .Any ideas ?

My frustrating experience with this error code;

To save time, I used external storage to migrate from PS4 Pro to PS5. So, PS4 games were left on external. They worked fine until an update was released for any of them - would always fail to update with the CE-100002-3 error. The error didn't even have an entry on the Sony website at this point, it does now.

One of the early fixes I found for this via the Interwebs was to move the title to PS5 internal, update it, move it back to external. Thought I'd cracked it. Until the next update came along and it was back to square one. I think @steviedr may be at this point in his journey with this error?

Not holding my breath on what seems to be a better fix when you get this is to not bother with the move to/from steps above and to just delete the game. Redownload and reinstall directly to external (important - make sure option is set to do this as default for PS4 titles in settings beforehand) and, for me at least, this seems to have cured it. Updates now install as they should.

Hope it helps. Not sure if it's slightly off topic for this thread but it's probably firmware related.

Last edited:
I managed to transfer all my PS4 games from the old 4 TB hard drive to the new 4 TB Crucial X6 SSD over the weekend but it took absolutely ages (literally a day in total) and a lot of faffing about transferring the games via the PS5's internal SSD, which required me to first archive all the existing PS5 games to the new SSD to make temporary space for the PS4 games. This gave me around 580 GB of internal SSD space to copy PS4 games to then I had to unmount the old hard drive and plug in the new SSD and copy said games to the new drive. 580 GB of data, copied from the internal SSD to the new SSD, tooks 2-3 hours to complete, which is unbelievably slow but it appears that Sony have capped the transfer speeds for some reason or perhaps it due to the data having to be encrypted? Either way, it took 6 or 7 lots of transfers to finally get everything copied over and this would not have been possible at all without the new firmware (I would have had to have deleted all my PS5 games first to make the space).

Quite why Sony makes what should be a straight forward process so cumbersome is beyond me. On my Xbox One X I would have been able to copy the data direct from one drive to another without all this messing around and that console is FOUR years old! Also, the Xbox One X transfers data in the background allowing you to use the console, something not possible on the PS5. Is it any wonder that I think the PS5 feels so half-baked, not helped by the still-unsupported internal SSD expansion slot and no support for VRR or ALLM.

Wow, you have some tenacity there, I'd just download the PS4 games to the new external as I want to play them, would be the latest patched games too. Bit more of a ball ache if they're disc, but you can also play other games whilst discs install.

Do you see the benefit of external SSD? How are game load times compared to PS4?

This may be of interest if you haven't seen it @Toasty

Last edited:
Quite why Sony makes what should be a straight forward process so cumbersome is beyond me. On my Xbox One X I would have been able to copy the data direct from one drive to another without all this messing around and that console is FOUR years old! Also, the Xbox One X transfers data in the background allowing you to use the console, something not possible on the PS5. Is it any wonder that I think the PS5 feels so half-baked, not helped by the still-unsupported internal SSD expansion slot and no support for VRR or ALLM.
totally agree on every point

What, no love for Cross-platform share play in the new update? Personally, I'm pretty stoked for that one, since they broke share play on the PS4 (consistently measured my connection speed as too slow despite it being a pretty solid 60/20 Mbps).

Wow, you have some tenacity there, I'd just download the PS4 games to the new external as I want to play them, would be the latest patched games too. Bit more of a ball ache if they're disc, but you can also play other games whilst discs install.

Do you see the benefit of external SSD? How are game load times compared to PS4?

The load times are noticeably faster from the SSD than the hard drive was on my PS4 Pro, for sure, and definitely much faster even than they were from the HDD on my PS5 (which was a little faster than the PS4 Pro, likely due to the faster CPU which can process data quicker). Not only are the loading times faster from the SSD but texture pop in is significantly reduced in games such as Final Fantasy VII Remake.

To be honest, you can probably get away with a hard drive for PS4 game storage on the PS5 just fine, especially as it offers better value in terms of how much storage you get for the price, but once you switch to an SSD then it is hard to go back.

Last edited:
To be honest, you can probably get away with a hard drive for PS4 game storage on the PS5 just fine, especially as if offers better value in terms of how much storage you get for the price, but once you switch to an SSD then it is hard to go back.
Thanks for the detailed reply, I am thinking of using an external drive for PS4 games if needed going forward, I have some knocking about, but none are SSD. But your feedback and the vid above definitely show its worth the upgrade, especially as I'm used to quicker load times now using just the internal.

Thanks for the detailed reply, I am thinking of using an external drive for PS4 games if needed going forward, I have some knocking about, but none are SSD. But your feedback and the vid above definitely show its worth the upgrade, especially as I'm used to quicker load times now using just the internal.

In an ideal world everyone would use SSDs for game storage but they are very expensive which is why most people will be fine just using a hard drive for PS4 games storage as they offer the most storage per £1. The 4 TB Crucial X6 SSD that I bought cost me £349.00 from Amazon (it is now over £400!) but the same amount of hard drive storage is around £90.

At the risk of stating the obvious, storing PS4 games on a HDD but moving them to the internal SSD when you want to play them is one way to go. It all depends how many games anyone wants ready to play immediately.

I hope they add the option to back up PS5 game saves to USB soon, Xbox doesn't do it either but they don't require you to have Xbox live Gold to back it up to the cloud. Sony want you to subscribe to PS+ to do so.

Another system update available already, ver: 21.01-03.10.00. It’s just a system performance improvement update, no new features, but it’s pretty big at 903MB.

Last edited:
ooo havent got to post a stability meme for a while :hiya: i'll update the first post.

zkAta3b.jpg

Last edited:
Update for both console and DualSense.

First post edited with details, but might be fixes for DS5 issues people had, better USB extended storage stuff.

VRR lol....i wish

Version: 21.01-03.20.00

• This system software update improves system performance.
  • We've updated the DualSense wireless controller device software to improve stability.
  • We've fixed an issue that restricted the functionality of some screens when the screen reader was enabled.
  • We've fixed an issue where games that you've hidden on PS4 were not hidden on PS5.
  • We've made the process of copying games from USB extended storage to console storage in the game library more stable.

I don't yet have a tv that supports VRR, but it's a bit off that Sony have this on the box as one of the features!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom