Firmware Thread - Current ver: 24.01-08.60.00

3D Audio has been great via the headphones when I've used it. Not really interested in using the TV speakers whatsoever TBH, not sure anyone after a good audio experience would either. TV speakers are dreadful!
Indeed but, this update is the stepping stone, leading to the 3D update via receivers. If it only works via certain games, what's the point?!

As I say, I have personally lost interest in it.

Indeed but, this update is the stepping stone, leading to the 3D update via receivers. If it only works via certain games, what's the point?!

As I say, I have personally lost interest in it.
By the same logic you should also have lost interest in Dolby Atmos for games seen as not all games on Xbox utilise it?

By the same logic you should also have lost interest in Dolby Atmos for games seen as not all games on Xbox utilise it?
Not at all because the way Cerny spoke about 3D audio when he did his little speech on it, he made it sound like it would eventually be the platforms proprietary audio output. The way he spoke about it, even got Dolby interested.

If it's only beneficial to a few games rather than the system, there's nothing evolutionary about it at all. Just Sony skimping on paying Dolby for Atmos, which is what I suspected all along.

Not at all because the way Cerny spoke about 3D audio when he did his little speech on it, he made it sound like it would eventually be the platforms proprietary audio output. The way he spoke about it, even got Dolby interested.

If it's only beneficial to a few games rather than the system, there's nothing evolutionary about it at all. Just Sony skimping on paying Dolby for Atmos, which is what I suspected all along.
So on PS5, via the Tempest Engine, eventually everyone will be able to benefit from 3D Audio on games which utilise it, be that via a headset, TV speakers or AVR w/separates or soundbar(?) For free. On Xbox you have to pay for the Dolby Atmos license (which accessed through the Dolby Access app). Similarly you can access DTS Headphone:X and DTS:X for Home Cinema via the DTS Sound Unbound app via software purchase.

On both consoles the 3D Audio implementation is dependent on the individual games... I don't think you're really looking at this subject from a balanced viewpoint?

Out of interest, have you tried the DTS Sound Unbound? By all accounts it's actually better than the Dolby Atmos implementation, especially via stereo headphones.

The only games that support 3D audio so far are:

Sackboy: A Big Adventure
Spiderman: Miles Morales
Resident Evil Village
Astro’s Playroom
Returnal
Ratchet & Clank
Demon’ Souls
Destruction All Stars

Basically most of the PS5 exclusives and RE:8.
And Ghost of Tsushima with PS5 upgrade.

Does that one come with a heat sink?
Amazon one doesn't, you need to buy one. The one from Scan does have a cheap heatsink included but I'd have to pay around £14 to get it delivered to Northern Ireland which is crazy. Mainland UK is free delivery

The only games that support 3D audio so far are:
I thought these also supported it:

Crash Bandicoot 4: It's About Time
Devil May Cry 5 Special Edition
Final Fantasy XIV
Immortals Fenix Rising
Marvel's Avengers
Nioh Remastered
Nioh 2 Remastered
No Man's Sky
Oddworld: Soulstorm
The Pathless
Spider-Man: Remastered
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 1+2

On PS4 you have these (the old binaural audio, not PS5 stuff i guess):

Anthem
Days Gone
Horizon: Zero Dawn
The Last of Us: Part II
MLB 19: The Show
Uncharted 4
Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

And i swear a bunch of PSVR games had 3D Audio, like The Persistence, Doom VFR, Star Wars Squadrons, Battlezone, Firewall Zero Hour... dozens and dozens of PSVR games?

EDIT: should add i updated the first post with patch notes. All previous patch notes now in spoiler.

Last edited:
I may be wrong, but I thought all PS5 games, as in made for PS5, supported 3D audio. Certainly I'd expect first party games to have it.

I don't mind Sony doing their own thing, and they did say it's a system that's still being developed. Eventually there will be full 3D audio for Atmos speaker setups. I have their Pulse 3D headphones, and games that support 3D audio sound great. Though any stereo headphones should work. I'm a sucker for official accessories!

I like that they allow us to customise control centre better, a welcome addition for me.

My biggest wish now I have a kids profile on the console is that when I log into my account the Home Screen is clogged up with all the crap my son has played.

I wish it just showed the one or two games I play a year

Thinking of getting just an external hdd for ps4 games, will I lose any benefit from doing this rather than on the PS5 ssd? I understand some games get a boost like 60fps, full 4K etc or will they still get these benefits?

I understand games which have been patched for PS5 like Metro Exodus will need to be on the ssd, unless I'm wrong

Thinking of getting just an external hdd for ps4 games, will I lose any benefit from doing this rather than on the PS5 ssd? I understand some games get a boost like 60fps, full 4K etc or will they still get these benefits?

I understand games which have been patched for PS5 like Metro Exodus will need to be on the ssd, unless I'm wrong
My understanding is you'll still get the BC boost features running from external if they are PS4 games and you'll benefit from faster loading if you get a fast external SSD. If the game has been upgraded to a PS5 game, then that will need to be installed on internal. There may be some exceptions to the rule, but a quick look at Exodus and that update looks like it makes it a PS5 game not a boosted PS4 game..

Yes PS4 games played from an external HDD (or external SSD) will still get the PS5 enhancements you mention. I've not got a fancy/speedy external HDD & find that loading times are probably on a par with those of my OG PS4 for those games.

Metro wasn't patched for PS5, they released a PS5 specific version, so that would need to be played from internal SSD, unless you download the PS4 version.

@Wing80surfer did you try out your TB wired to the PS5 controller with 3D Audio enabled? If so how did it go?

On the UI my big wish is to have a display option - especially on the Library and Store - other than the default “effing mahoosive tiles”. I would like both smaller tile options and a list view.

I rearranged the control centre icons so Power is next to Home but I keep forgetting and scroll all the way to the right to turn it off! ;)

Can't wait to get home at 5:15pm and finally be able to install the 2 TB WD SN850 SSD I've had for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I was really annoyed that I never got a beta invite, despite dozens and dozens of registrations, but I guess that doesn't matter now.

Is the panel easy to take off the PS5 as I've never had any reason to remove mine until now? I understand that you need to first remove the base then lift the panel up by the top-right corner and at the same time slide it down slowly and gently to avoid scratching the interior plastic. Is that right?

Already made a note to remove the disc then use the safe remove option for the external SSD and then finally shutdown the PS5 (as opposed to putting in Rest mode as I usually do). If I didn't do that then I know I would have forgotten one or more of them in the excitement to install the new SSD!
Crikey, that’s some excitement levels!

Can't wait to get home at 5:15pm and finally be able to install the 2 TB WD SN850 SSD I've had for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I was really annoyed that I never got a beta invite, despite dozens and dozens of registrations, but I guess that doesn't matter now.

Is the panel easy to take off the PS5 as I've never had any reason to remove mine until now? I understand that you need to first remove the base then lift the panel up by the top-right corner and at the same time slide it down slowly and gently to avoid scratching the interior plastic. Is that right?

Already made a note to remove the disc then use the safe remove option for the external SSD and then finally shutdown the PS5 (as opposed to putting in Rest mode as I usually do). If I didn't do that then I know I would have forgotten one or more of them in the excitement to install the new SSD!
No need to ‘safely remove storage’ since you’re completely powering down your console. Just turn it off & unplug everything. Just like a pc, the only reason you’d want to use the safe remove option is if you want to swap devices whilst the system is still turned on.

This sounds like a clever idea, the heat sink also doubles as the SSD expansion bay cover, but I'd like to see what Sony make of the idea though, and if it's safe to use.

Last edited:
Re. the 3D audio discussion above, if it's a feature intended to work with some games but not others then there should be a software flag to tell the console when this is the case. Then there could be an Auto or Off setting to choose between like there is for 120 Hz. The idea of manually changing this on a per-game basis just sounds ridiculous to me.

Yeah it is a clumsy implementation when 3D audio through TV speakers is either on for everything or off. Maybe they'll tweak it in another update so it detects games that support 3D audio and only then enables it.

Designing a heat sink for 3rd party hardware is a risk, PS5 is already on its 2nd iteration and if the next tweaks the SSD slot, then suddenly you're obsolete.

I should imagine the SSD expansion bay will always remain as it is TBH.

My PS5 downloaded another new firmware update today (21.02-04.02.00), it’s just a system performance update though so don’t get excited.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom