Firmware Thread - Current ver: 21.02-04.00.00

Wing80surfer

The update has taken away the ‘resume activity’ function 😡
From game hub you used to be able to press square to pick up from where you left off, without having to go through the load menus etc

FevreDream

New system update available. Vers: 21.01-03.21.00

FevreDream

The next system update goes live tomorrow. This is the biggest update since launch with numerous new features, including the much needed ability to upgrade internal storage expansion.

Last edited:

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
but still no VRR or ALLM !!! everyone keeps saying winter!

damo09

So with the new firmware landing tomorrow is it time to get a additional HDD. And what’s the best one to get?

FevreDream

So with the new firmware landing tomorrow is it time to get a additional HDD. And what’s the best one to get?

Some are listed here, the prices for just the basic 1TB might make you wince though.

damo09

So I’d be good with this one ?

Attachments

• 0002538A-1C4A-4007-8AFC-239CA3D9D56C.png
    0002538A-1C4A-4007-8AFC-239CA3D9D56C.png
    424.7 KB · Views: 18

ibrox_grfc

Distinguished Member
So I’d be good with this one ?
Yeah, that's the one I'm thinking of getting. Bear in mind you also need to buy a heatsink to put it in. The same ssd is a few £ more in the link up above from Scan but comes with a free heatsink. No good for me though as they charge silly money to deliver to Northern Ireland

WarHog

Im collecting a PS5 from Game this week, for my sons Xmas present.
Should I wait until nearer Xmas before unboxing and updating it, prior to him opening it Xmas Day?
Or, are updates that fast now that he can do it himself on Xmas Day?

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Should I wait until nearer Xmas before unboxing and updating it, prior to him opening it Xmas Day?
I would say depends on you lads age and usage of the PS5. If he's older and would appreciate doing all the set up himself, then leave it fresh. But if he's younger and/or you're using the PS5 too, then do it in advance, its not just the updates that take the time, you have to set up accounts, internet, system settings, etc too and while it doesn't take ages, it can be a faff for a Christmas morning.

Wing80surfer

I find system software updates and the initial setup quite fast. Installing games can still take a while though depending on your internet speed. I'd be tempted to setup & get some games installed ready, especially if your son is quite young.

Doctor Hades

Can't wait to get home at 5:15pm and finally be able to install the 2 TB WD SN850 SSD I've had for the last 3 or 4 weeks. I was really annoyed that I never got a beta invite, despite dozens and dozens of registrations, but I guess that doesn't matter now.

Is the panel easy to take off the PS5 as I've never had any reason to remove mine until now? I understand that you need to first remove the base then lift the panel up by the top-right corner and at the same time slide it down slowly and gently to avoid scratching the interior plastic. Is that right?

Already made a note to remove the disc then use the safe remove option for the external SSD and then finally shutdown the PS5 (as opposed to putting in Rest mode as I usually do). If I didn't do that then I know I would have forgotten one or more of them in the excitement to install the new SSD!

FevreDream

Installed the update a bit earlier. I enabled 3D audio through the TV speakers and, although I haven’t tried a game, you can definitely notice a difference in sound with dashboard music. Seems a louder and fuller sound somehow.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Movies Podcast: Star Trek in 4K. Is the new boxset worth it?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

T+A announces high end 200 Series audio components
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Trinnov Altitude update adds new features
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Panasonic TVs welcome Disney+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio Research announces I/50 integrated valve amp