Firmware Thread - Current ver: 24.01-08.60.00

I think you misread what I said I know this is true. What I questioned was the significance of this.
Well the main significance is its significantly faster and doesnt rely on an Internet connection, if you're in an area where the most you can hope for is 20 meg broadband then that's a problem, anyway it's just an option and options are good.
Very happy to hear they've sorted out the hdr though, that was annoying.

Sorry the official patch notes arent updated, i'll update the first post at earliest opportunity :blush:

Title updated for now...

Being able to store PS5 games on an external USB to free up SSD space drive is essential until they sort out extra internal SSD storage, which seems to be taking a long time to arrive btw. I think they’re having problems with that so they’ve brought in this as a stop gap.

Not too fussed about a lot of the other stuff. Never even used Game Base tbh.

Rumours are that the cooling is insufficient to keep the expansion SSDs running at optimal speeds and third-party heatsinks won't fit in the slot so the only option is either a third-party Sony-approved heatsink and/or ramped up fan speeds. The former is obvious better than the latter as that means that your previously quiet(-ish) PS5 is going to be making more noise if the fans are spinning faster to keep that SSD cool.

I suspect that Sony will go for both options; increasing the fan speed slightly, so as not to be too intrusive noise-wise, and waiting for a third-party heatsink that will fit in the expansion slot and aid the cooling. I think this is why we are having to wait so long as their are already SSDs available that are fast enough for the PS5.

Can't help wishing that Sony had gone the same route as Microsoft in supporting proprietary SSDs via an external expansion slot. Sure, these are expensive - £225 for a 1 TB drive - but they have been available to buy since launch and you can buy as many as you need and swap them out anytime, unlike the PS5's internal option.

Well the main significance is its significantly faster and doesnt rely on an Internet connection, if you're in an area where the most you can hope for is 20 meg broadband then that's a problem, anyway it's just an option and options are good.

You've misunderstood what I was saying above there. Let me try to be clearer...

The fastest way to go from not having a game to having it installed and ready to go on the SSD is to install it directly to the SSD drive. If someone downloads it to an external drive first and then copies it from there to the SSD then this combined process will take longer. The question then becomes what is the specific case where it is desirable to download to an external drive first?

You've misunderstood what I was saying above there. Let me try to be clearer...

The fastest way to go from not having a game to having it installed and ready to go on the SSD is to install it directly to the SSD drive. If someone downloads it to an external drive first and then copies it from there to the SSD then this combined process will take longer. The question then becomes what is the specific case where it is desirable to download to an external drive first?
Right, i get you, but that's not what i thought the other guy was saying, he was saying he wants the feature to free up storage space on the main ssd as and when he wants to instead of deleting games and redownloading later, it's not a massive issue for me personally because i tend to play one game at a time, but i can see where it will be a huge help to others.

The way i like to do it is have all my games stored on my external drive and then move the one i wish to play at that time to internal.

First post updated with full patch notes, its a biggie!

I might spoiler tag it in a few days / next patch, as otherwise it makes things a little unreadable.

First post updated with full patch notes, its a biggie!

I might spoiler tag it in a few days / next patch, as otherwise it makes things a little unreadable.

Thanks for taking the time to post the details.

The new HDMI Link options are a great change :) . I can now set it so powering on my PS5 switches my TV on but switching my PS5 off doesn't turn the TV off. Previously I'd disabled the link to prevent the latter.

Some decent changes there. Nice to hide games in library, can now hide demos etc. Also good to see hdr off feature.

Thanks for taking the time to post the details.

The new HDMI Link options are a great change :) . I can now set it so powering on my PS5 switches my TV on but switching my PS5 off doesn't turn the TV off. Previously I'd disabled the link to prevent the latter.

I soon disabled that. Turning on your TV with it's remote also turns on the PS5 now as well, and I don't want the PS5 booting up every time I turn on the TV for something other than gaming.

I soon disabled that. Turning on your TV with it's remote also turns on the PS5 now as well, and I don't want the PS5 booting up every time I turn on the TV for something other than gaming.

Ah yes, I'd forgotten this was the real reason I'd kept this feature disabled. Switching the TV input to something other than the PS5 before switching the TV off prevents it for me but this is still a hassle.

Strange, since day one turning on my PS5 would turn on my setup, or auto switch if I was using another input and when I put the PS5 it never turned off my TV so for me it seems this feature has always been there

Strange, since day one turning on my PS5 would turn on my setup, or auto switch if I was using another input and when I put the PS5 it never turned off my TV so for me it seems this feature has always been there

My PS5 never turned on when I switched on the TV with it’s remote until the update. I had turned off HDMI device link a while after getting my PS5, the update turned it back on again though.

Really not sure what Sony are doing here as HDR worked fine on the PS4 Pro for me, switching to HDR mode only when the game or app (such as NetFlix or YouTube) used it. Now, it just seems to be broken and I half suspect that part of the reason is Sony's bizarre decision to render the PS5's home screen (dashboard) in HDR, which was not the case on the PS4 Pro.

The problem with forcing HDR in this way is that on OLED screens it is unnecessarily wearing out the organic pixels and potentially increasing the risk of burn-in just for the sake of having a more vibrant home screen. I would personally rather have the PS5's home screen in SDR and only have HDR enabled when the game or app need it. It worked perfectly on the PS4 Pro after all so why change something that wasn't broken?

Last edited:
What SSD enclosures are you guys using?

I have tried 2 different ones, tried different usb A to USB C and USB C to C cables in different ports. Had a 500GB Samsung evo NVMe SSD and now a 1TB pro SSD and have never managed to get the PS5 out of rest mode without the error (you havent safely removed your external drive....rebuild library). If I reboot it comes up clean, but from rest, always has the error (and Ive switched rest mode option from 3hr to always have power).

I had given up and then I came across a thread about flashing the enclosure, so have even done that to the latest realtek firmware and still no joy, still get the error

Thought yesterday PS5 update would have fixed it and when i tested it, it did, but then fired up the PS5 last night and back to the same error.

Others say they dont have an issue, some do, cant figure out what is causing it...

I can of course shut it down, but it handy doing any updates while sleeping...

Really not sure what Sony are doing here as HDR worked fine on the PS4 Pro for me, switching to HDR mode only when the game or app (such as NetFlix or YouTube) used it. Not it just seems to be broken and I half suspect that part of the reason is Sony's bizarre decision to render the PS5's home screen (dashboard) in HDR, which was not the case on the PS4 Pro.

The problem with forcing HDR in this way is that on OLED screens it is unnecessarily wearing out the organic pixels and potentially increasing the risk of burn-in just for the sake of having a more vibrant home screen. I would personally rather have the PS5's home screen in SDR and only have HDR enabled when the game or app need it. It worked perfectly on the PS4 Pro after all so why change something that wasn't broken?

First Sony introduced HDR as always on or off, nothing automatic about it, exactly the same stupid way the way they implement DV via their 4K UHD spinners - forced on for everything or off.

Yesterday, for a brief time, I thought they'd introduced a logical update and the 'normal' way everyone utilises HDR but, they've still not cracked it:facepalm:.

I’ve turned HDR off completely on the PS5, it just looks crap on my TV. It is the TV though, not the PS5, it’s just not very good at displaying HDR. PS5 games, and PS4 games on PS5, look great with it turned off I should add but turn it on and it’s all washed out and lifeless, images just lack that pop.

The new HDR option seemed to work OK for me last night going between the menu in HDR and Shadow of Mordor in SDR. Going back to the menu switched back to HDR. So for me it's a good improvement (so far).

I appreciate that for those who want to run apps on the PS5 there may well still be issues though. I run these on my TV instead, meaning my PS5 is off and so not using extra electricity. App performance and availability varies between TVs though, and my PS4 was better for this than my last TV.

What SSD enclosures are you guys using?

I have tried 2 different ones, tried different usb A to USB C and USB C to C cables in different ports. Had a 500GB Samsung evo NVMe SSD and now a 1TB pro SSD and have never managed to get the PS5 out of rest mode without the error (you havent safely removed your external drive....rebuild library). If I reboot it comes up clean, but from rest, always has the error (and Ive switched rest mode option from 3hr to always have power).

I had given up and then I came across a thread about flashing the enclosure, so have even done that to the latest realtek firmware and still no joy, still get the error

Thought yesterday PS5 update would have fixed it and when i tested it, it did, but then fired up the PS5 last night and back to the same error.

Others say they dont have an issue, some do, cant figure out what is causing it...

I can of course shut it down, but it handy doing any updates while sleeping...

Lots of bedtime reading here about this - Best external storage for PS4 games on PS5 ?

If it's TLDR, I bought this based on that thread and it works a treat - Amazon product ASIN B07WPJSYVV
It was only £24 when I bought it though. Key thing is the chipset it uses - ASMedia ASM2362, there are other enclosures using this same chipset.

Lots of bedtime reading here about this - Best external storage for PS4 games on PS5 ?

If it's TLDR, I bought this based on that thread and it works a treat - Amazon product ASIN B07WPJSYVV
It was only £24 when I bought it though. Key thing is the chipset it uses - ASMedia ASM2362, there are other enclosures using this same chipset.
Many thanks, I'll have a good read.

I initially bought the very similar looking FIDECO M.2 NVME External SSD Enclosure. I'd need to dig it out and check what chipset it was using (it didn't work on PS5 launch, but I haven't flashed it) as my newer Eluteng Realtek chipset is bang up to date and wont work.

I have a suspicion that the controller update may have increased the dead-band (minimum offset to register movement) to reduce the incidence of stick drift. I say this as I've just had to abort a round of golf in PGA 2K21 after just a few holes as I was stupidly overhitting puts I'd have had no difficulty controlling before, and I suspect it may be because I'm not unable to pull the club back as slowly as I could before.

Has anyone else experienced any changes in performance?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom