Firmware Thread - Current ver: 21.01-03.20.00

Ultrasonic

This may be a coincidence but after having started using rest mode a bit I had issues with Astro's Playroom crashing. I finished the main game last night and then tried speed runs for the first time. Each time I set a time that took me to the leaderboard section, the game crashed and closed. This morning the game wouldn't even open.

Edit: thankfully uninstalling and reinstalling the game has resolved the problem.

Last edited:

FevreDream

Being able to store PS5 games on an external USB to free up SSD space drive is essential until they sort out extra internal SSD storage, which seems to be taking a long time to arrive btw. I think they’re having problems with that so they’ve brought in this as a stop gap.

Not too fussed about a lot of the other stuff. Never even used Game Base tbh.

Last edited:

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Its great being able to now move ps5 games to and from external USB HDD but kinda odd you cant download straight to USB.

It's not odd PS5 games are programmed to only use the internal SSD when installing it's only looking for that drive, downloading be it from the store or your library is installing, the same as it would be from a disc.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
It's not odd PS5 games are programmed to only use the internal SSD when installing it's only looking for that drive, downloading be it from the store or your library is installing, the same as it would be from a disc.
I suppose ive just got used to the flexibility series X offers where i can download games to where ever i choose be it internal or external

Ultrasonic

I suppose ive just got used to the flexibility series X offers where i can download games to where ever i choose be it internal or external
But why download anything if you're not actually intending to use it?

Ultrasonic

I am intending to use it just not right now. moving stuff from external is quicker than downloading to internal
The total time is longer going via USB drive and it means you have to pay for more external storage. How much faster is it to transfer from USB drive compared to downloading an how important really is the difference?

I can see why you may miss the option if you like this on XBOX but realistically I'm struggling to see this being a big deal.

shoestring25

Distinguished Member
The total time is longer going via USB drive and it means you have to pay for more external storage. How much faster is it to transfer from USB drive compared to downloading an how important really is the difference?

I can see why you may miss the option if you like this on XBOX but realistically I'm struggling to see this being a big deal.
I already have the storage from my ps4 so wont cost anything extra and theres no reason not to have offered downloading to external as an option

Ultrasonic

...theres no reason not to have offered it as an option
There could be, in that downloading may in some way be optimised with the SSD drive in mind, or there may be some other restriction based on how the PS5 is configured. I don't know either way.

It could simply have been easier to not offer the option though.

Ultrasonic

Easier for Sony but not easier for you. Can you download PS4 games directly to the USB ?
Not currently. There is no target drive option when starting a download.

Edit: unless an option appears when an external drive is connected I suppose. I've not tried. My bet is you can't though.

That sucks a bit, no reason not to provide it really. Maybe in the future, fingers crossed. I am more interested in some form of NVMe upgrades in 2021, let hope that fan speed increase isn't needed too much if you get one.

Ultrasonic

That sucks a bit, no reason not to provide it really.

As above I don't think you can be certain of that.

Let's maybe give Sony credit for at least introducing the much requested feature to be able to move PS5 games to an external drive when not in use? That we still don't have a usable M.2 drive option is getting more concerning though, although if I never have more than the current internal storage I would personally cope as I tend not to be playing loads of different games at the same time.

Ultrasonic

Darbo

Easier for Sony but not easier for you. Can you download PS4 games directly to the USB ?
Yeah, you can set it to download all ps4 titles straight to external drive, also to the other guys comment, it's absolutely faster to move games between drives instead of downloading and installing each time.

Ultrasonic

also to the other guys comment, it's absolutely faster to move games between drives instead of downloading and installing each time.

I think you misread what I said I know this is true. What I questioned was the significance of this.

Fair enough thats not so bad then - I can understand there not being a PS5 games to USB direct option if PS4 games do allow that.

FevreDream

There’s also an update available for the controller today too. Don’t know what that fixes/improves though.

FevreDream

Update is up for those interested.

Yeah, just installed it in my PS5. That’s when I got a prompt to install the controller update too.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
HDR > On when Supported :thumbsup:
The first thing I did was to see if they changed the always HDR on, glad to see they did.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sony A90J Thoughts, madVR Processor & Sonus faber Lumina II Reviews + Movie & TV roundup
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 16th June 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Deezer introduces 360 Sessions to showcase spatial audio
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
E3 2021: Ten of the Best
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sonus faber expands Lumina speaker range