Firmware Thread - Current ver: 20.02-02.50.00

Stinja

Distinguished Member
Following on from PS4 thread, latest firmware / system update info.

Current version = 20.02-02.50.00.08-00.00.00.0.1

US site seems to update patch notes quicker than UK one, clicky here

Version 20.02-02.50.00
  • This system software update improves system performance.
  • In rare cases, the PS4 version of a game would install from the disc after you upgraded to and installed the PS5 version. Now, when you insert the PS4 game disc, the PS4 version won't install unexpectedly.
  • You can now select and edit video clips using Share Factory Studio from your media gallery.
Version 20.02-02.30.00
  • Resolved an issue where data transfers and downloads were cancelled when trying to download content while a data transfer from a PS4 is in progress.
  • Some issues that were causing errors during text input in some PS4 games have been resolved.
  • The connection stability has been improved for some Wi-Fi routers.
Version 20.02-02.26.00
  • An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.
Version 20.02-02.25.00
  • An issue where users couldn't download games because only the "Queued for Download" or "View Details" option was displayed was resolved. If you encounter this issue, update the system software to the latest version, and then try starting your PS5 in safe mode to rebuild the database.

Just had one drop (like literally just as Demon Souls crashed and restarted) and just said "performance improvements" or something :rolleyes:
Day 1 patch for you late joiners i guess.

EDIT: updated for GB link, and used their naming convention
EDIT2: another update
EDIT3: and another

Last edited:

Jimster71

Distinguished Member

Current version = 20.02-2.25.00.02-00.00.00.0.1

Just had one drop (like literally just as Demon Souls crashed and restarted) and just said "performance improvements" or something :rolleyes:

Pretty much all Playstation updates are for performance and stability improvements.

madmonk3y

Current version = 20.02-2.25.00.02-00.00.00.0.1

Nice one - thanks for the heads up - just downlooaded in readiness to patch it. Beat the overloaded network rush on release day :)

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
A nice catchy naming system for PS5 firmware then. None of this long-winded "8.00" like for the PS4. :rotfl:

I assume/hope that the US equivalent of this new version has been used without bricking any consoles? Probably just my paranoia but I think I'm remembering teething problems with early firmware updates for the PS3 (not sure about PS4)?

JonJ

Judging by US comments, it seems like some users are having issues with PS5 game downloads and rest mode. It does seem like this new firmware has fixed USB port charging for some, but so far not the Call of Duty PS5 download issues. Maybe that is a game software issue.

Here's hoping when all us UK owners get them tomorrow a bunch of stuff has been ironed out!

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
I usually wait for a few days before updating any firmware, just to give me time to read around a bit. Might just be me that doesn't people to get things right first time... :rotfl:

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I usually wait for a few days before updating any firmware, just to give me time to read around a bit. Might just be me that doesn't people to get things right first time... :rotfl:
Good luck with that, I believe it's forced to get your unit activated.

FadgewackeR

Distinguished Member
I'll be avoiding rest mode for a wee while, thanks to @Stinja for the heads up. As he rightly says, as fast as it is, it should be little hardship, as long as you know about it.

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
Good luck with that, I believe it's forced to get your unit activated.

Okay. Guess I'll need to bite the bullet then! :)

However at the moment I'm still waiting from Amazon to take my money and progress my order so not counting any chickens quite yet.

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
Yeah, you won't get far without it and I really wouldn't recommend not updating it

I've interpreted your double negatives in that sentence and what I think you mean is that you're taking sole responsibility for my firmware update? :D

Sab

Good luck to every one waiting for their deliveries tomorrow. I am sure that they will arrive in perfect condition and on time.:nono:

Big Starbuck

Just finished setting my console up and stuck it on rest mode to charge the controller but I’m not able to use the front port, the rear works fine though. I’ve been aware of reports on this as well as other well documented issues potentially related to rest mode so I’m not surprised. Hopefully this gets sorted soon while I wait to get my hands on the official charging station.

MrTea34

Just finished setting my console up and stuck it on rest mode to charge the controller but I’m not able to use the front port, the rear works fine though. I’ve been aware of reports on this as well as other well documented issues potentially related to rest mode so I’m not surprised. Hopefully this gets sorted soon while I wait to get my hands on the official charging station.
Isn’t there an option to make it not go into rest mode? Think I’m gonna set it to that until a patch comes out. Seems like rest mode is the culprit of the crashes etc

JonJ

Isn’t there an option to make it not go into rest mode? Think I’m gonna set it to that until a patch comes out. Seems like rest mode is the culprit of the crashes etc
I'm waiting for my PS5 to arrive today. I did read on some US forums that the latest firmware update had fixed controller charging on the front port for some people ....

Big Starbuck

There is an option to not have it in rest mode but I wanted to charge the controller whilst the console wasn’t switched on. The only usb plugs I have lying around are for iPhones and I don’t want to risk them over rest mode lol.

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
Am I reading the information incorrectly or do you have to go into Safe Mode to install a firmware update from a USB stick? I'd have guessed there would be a menu option to "Update Via USB" under "normal operation".

I only ever updated using the download method for the PS4 so this is new to me.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
new software update

PS5 system software update
An update to the system software for PlayStation®5 consoles was released on 25/11/20.
For the best PlayStation experience, always update your PS5™ console to the latest version of the system software. By updating, you can enjoy additional features, improved usability and enhanced security.
PS5 system software features
Update your PS5 console with the latest system software. You can also check out the features that are available in the update here. In addition, you can view the online user's guide in the PS5 console's Settings menu.
Version 20.02-02.26.00
  • An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
Anybody want to try this first and tell me if it bricks their console? :D

Whilst it's good that they've (probably) resolved these issues they all seem like bits of functionality that should've been tested before the console was unleashed. But then I guess you can probably say that about any bug fix during any product's lifecycle.

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Anybody want to try this first and tell me if it bricks their console? :D

Whilst it's good that they've (probably) resolved these issues they all seem like bits of functionality that should've been tested before the console was unleashed. But then I guess you can probably say that about any bug fix during any product's lifecycle.
ive just updated all good so far 868 MB

Toasty

Distinguished Member
There's beta testing and then there's real world gamer testing :D

Stability updates became a meme on PS4, but they sure are useful at the start of a new console run..

LotusElan

Distinguished Member
Incorrectly deleting games and charging the controller doesn't take a lot of testing, just the foresight to think about it and add it to the test spec! We're not talking about low level fault injection or analysing data packets here, just the cheapest test engineer available checking things are still installed after a power cycle and plugging stuff in. :rotfl:

I do get where you're coming from, though. :D

Toasty

Distinguished Member
Beta tester - yeah, the USB ports all charge the controller, may have seen something weird in rest mode, I'll flag a low priority issue..

2 million gamers - FRONT USB PORT DOESN'T CHARGE THE CONTROLLER IN REST MODE!!!!!

;)

But seriously, there will be list of issues Sony are working though and they'll have a priority and schedule plan for it, which will change based gamer feedback..

golden phoenix

Distinguished Member
Beta tester - yeah, the USB ports all charge the controller, may have seen something weird in rest mode, I'll flag a low priority issue..

2 million gamers - FRONT USB PORT DOESN'T CHARGE THE CONTROLLER IN REST MODE!!!!!

;)

But seriously, there will be list of issues Sony are working though and they'll have a priority and schedule plan for it, which will change based gamer feedback..

im hoping their working on the HDD crashes and system rebuilds people are having to do. plus COD seems to be causing all kinds of crashes, multiple installs, rebuilds for some people.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Large Screen HDR TV or Projector For Home Cinema + Best of the Month

Latest News

AVForums Podcast: 24th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG opens up webOS platform to TV manufacturers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
NAD launches MDC USB DSD upgrade module
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published