• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Firmware Differences????

S2KI

Standard Member
Guys

Looking to get a PSP at last and was reading through the posts. However I am a little confused about the differences between firmware v1.5 - v2.5?:confused: :confused:

Thanks

SLIM

Established Member
V1.5 you can play psp games of the memory stick with out the umd disk:smashin: you can all so do lot's more with it 25 you can do anything realy:thumbsdow

L

Logitek

1.5 was known for its abbility to be utilized for emulation and homebrew.

Sony wasn't pleased when they heard about it so they released 1.51

None of the version 1.# really did anything other than add languages and make security fixes. 2.0 came and introduced a feature to put your own background and surf the web with a built in browser. The other version 2.# added things like RSS support amd Location Free support, and eventually games began to require version 2.0. Now using a copy of Grand Theft Auto Liberty City Stories you can run software to downgrade and gain the functionalities of 1.5

However there are also loaders that allow you to run mostly any game in version 1.5

Nick_UK

Banned
If you get a PSP with 2.5 firmware, then there is currently no way to go back. However, there is a "back door" which can be exploited in GTA which allows homebrew software to be run. It's already covered in another thread.

S2KI

Standard Member
All I am really going to do is play games and watch backed-up DVD's. So does it matter to me about the version?

D

Darwock

No, in fact the more you worry about firmware the less games you will be able to play, as the latest ones all have mandatory firmware upgrades. The device does what it's intended to do, don't worry about firmware.

The latest video from AVForums

SVS Prime Wireless Pro Powered Speakers - Review Coming Soon
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom