1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

firmware + a bit of help please...

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by DJBlade, Feb 2, 2003.

1. DJBlade

DJBlade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Hi all, my amp is only version 1.4, so needs the upgrade , i bought the unit online from Hotkit, 1. Anyone know there phone number. 2. Are they likely to do the upgrade, dont want to be without it for too long.

Also, off topic, so sorry for that, but anyone else find the user manual near to useless..?

Please help, i only have Sky and Dvd player connected, now when watching Sky, and i select *normal surround* is this pro-logic 2..? it does not light up on the display of the amp, although i have seen it flash up when watching some dvd extra's or intro's.

When watching a movie on sky, which is broadcast with DPL, and i select Auto Format Decode, it only uses fronts and sub, i have to select normal surround...? Surely it should show Full Surround (i have set the option Pro-Logic II Movie)

I also only use 5.1 speakers, so, is the 6.1 setting useless to me, or would it be sent to the rears..? find this a little confusing..
    thanks for viewing......

2. Messiah

Messiah

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +338
    Firstly, it may help if you state what model amplifier/receiver you are ferring to :D .

Assuming that you are meaning the VA555ES. If so then why not do the firmware upgrade yourself. You will need a Win 98, ME, 2000 (not XP) PC, a null modem cable (9 pin D female to 9 pin D female) and the latest firmware which can be obtained from a link on this forum (search for 'STR-VA555ES firmware').

Once you have all this it will take 3 minuters and 38 seconds to complete. Faster than any courier I know :D

You would lose the centre surround info if you select 6.1 but only have a 5.1 setup.

3. iwatkins

iwatkins

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    DJBlade,

I also bought my 555ES from HotKit. They were very helpful in sorting out contact information with Sony etc. However, do note that if you send the amp back to HotKit they may just send it to Sony anyway.

However, you could give them a call and see what they can do now. They may be able to do the firmware upgrade there now as they have all the information (I gave to them).

Their contact details are on their website, but I find email much easier and quicker.

Or, yes, plan B would be to do it yourself, very straightforward. The thread is here

Cheers

Ian :smashin:

4. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    As already suggested, you can do the upgrade yourself, BUT that
    will trash any guarentee you have.
    The thought of sending my unit back to Sony was daunting, as I'd chucked the box! So went for it myself.
    It really is easy, as long as you have the correct lead.

I too have found the manual rather less than useful, Ian on this thread has helped me out already.

Why are you still watching Sky Movies????? Cancel the movie channels, and use the dosh for DVD's so as to realise the full potential of your amp. Beg, borrow or steal another speaker (or two) for the centre rear(s), and screw it to the wall ASAP.

You wouldn't run a Jag on paraffin now would you...:nono: