Firmware 4.00 Due Very Soon

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score
A new system software update (v4.00) will be released this week. In preparation for the launch of PS Vita in Japan, this update will prepare the PS3 to serve as a content management device. It will allow users to copy their media content such as games, music, photos, and videos between PS Vita and PS3, back up PS Vita save data to your PS3 hard drive, and update the system software for your PS Vita system using the network features of your PS3.
Other changes to take effect with this update include:
PlayStation Plus members can now choose to enable or disable each automatic update feature
Game patches
System software
Recommended games and videos
Sync trophy information
New PSN privacy settings for filtering friend requests and messages
You can find more details at eu.playstation.com

For a jump to the big 4.00 that update is terrible. No real great feature there. All my opinion of course but theres normally something to shout about in big jumps to the next number.

Nothing of interest to me at all there.
I dont own a Vita and im not a Plus member. Very dissapointing.

I've heard it has cross-game chat tucked away as a hidden feature, and OtherOS comes back as well :smashin:

I've heard it has cross-game chat tucked away as a hidden feature, and OtherOS comes back as well :smashin:

Interesting. I've heard that cross game chat will never happen with the PS3 due to memory limitations.

Yep that was the case - then the rumour was that when the PSN was hacked and it was offline for all the time that they rebuild the PSN & firmware structures to allow XGC - Either way its all just rumour - Can't see it coming and why the hell would i want to talk to someone else on another game i'll never know!!!

You do know its a wind up as part of an ongoing joke on any new firmware is to ask about XGC?

PS3 hasn't had a good update in years, XMB is just as slow as it was 3 years ago.

At least Xbox bothers to bring some change on their interface every now and then.

an annoying/patronising epilepsy warning message every time you start up the console

like it wasn't slow enough getting the full XMB booted before that, haven't fount a way to turn it off yet

You do know its a wind up as part of an ongoing joke on any new firmware is to ask about XGC?

LOL yes mate I do, like MKV support etc. Fact is the rumour was they rebuilt it from scatch with chat in mind - seriously doubt there is any truth in it but with the Vita chat and this update being a possible big change one then if it was to happen then it would be now, or on one of the early updates. Still i think there is more chance of you sleeping with Margaret Thatcher than that though LMAO!!!!

LOL yes mate I do, like MKV support etc. Fact is the rumour was they rebuilt it from scatch with chat in mind - seriously doubt there is any truth in it but with the Vita chat and this update being a possible big change one then if it was to happen then it would be now, or on one of the early updates. Still i think there is more chance of you sleeping with Margaret Thatcher than that though LMAO!!!!

Already had a piece of the Iron Lady ;):cool:

Last edited:
Yep, more ads, clunky interface, and more ads. :laugh:

What's that on?

and about 5x faster than the ps3 , ps3 is so slow the whole experiance becomes a chore . much prefer the xbox dashboard even if it is clunky and has ads.

it cant be diffucult for ps3 to speed the whole process up

I haven't synced my trophies in more than 4 weeks now, bloody thing takes 3 mins just to get to 10%. I bloody got WWE 12 this week and had to download a 250mb patch to play the bloody game on launch day. :suicide:

Just to much hassle with PS3 nowdays, don't care about the ads or whatever but I would rather have a fast and smooth experience. XMB is totally fine when you're not gaming, but in game its so bloody laggy.

I wish they would update the XMB, so we can sort photos, albums and the like into proper folders, same with PS3 games/Demos. Let us choose the folder cover image, let us choose how we sort.

Grrrrr.

I heard that they were going to include an Xbox 360 emulator in the next firmware ;)

(How did I do?)

I'd like to thank Sony for this great new firmware. I never know how I survived without a direct link to buy PlayStation Plus subscriptions from directly under the sign in section of the XMB!

Didnt even know it was live yet. Hopefully it will have already auto updated my PS3 then.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom