Firmware 1.5

Adam you just beat me to it!

Looks like US player fixes for some HDMI/DVI connection and playback/freeze issues. I'm not ethernet connected, so I don't know if applicable to HD-E1 or HD-XE1.

No audio delay or 24p upgrade yet... :lease:

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/tacpassets-images/notices/hddvd2firmware.asp

Firmware Update Information for Owners of Toshiba HD DVD Players: Models HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2

Firmware Update Version: 1.5

Applicable Models: HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2.

Overview:
As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba is supplying this firmware update for use by purchasers of Toshiba HD DVD Player models HD-XA2, HD-A20, HD-A2, HD-A2W, and HD-D2. This firmware update addresses certain disc playback and HDMI/DVI related problems identified by Toshiba.

How to obtain and install the firmware update:

If you have broadband internet service, you may obtain the firmware update over the internet using the Ethernet port on the back of your HD DVD Player. Instructions for configuring the Ethernet port and downloading the firmware update can be found in the owner’s manual for your HD DVD Player. Here is an overview of the process:

* BEFORE BEGINNING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS, BE SURE TO REMOVE ANY DISCS FROM YOUR HD DVD PLAYER.
* Please configure the Ethernet port. You may need to turn on DHCP and DNS.
* After you have configured the Ethernet port, follow the directions in the owner’s manual to check for a firmware update.
* If a firmware update is available for your player, it will take about 20 minutes to download and install. Once the firmware update download process has finished, the player’s power will automatically switch off. You must wait until this process has finished.
* DO NOT UNPLUG, TURN OFF, OR USE ANY OTHER FEATURE OF YOUR PLAYER DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS. Doing so will cause the writing of the firmware update to the player to be halted and the player may no longer operate properly. If the player stops working, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.
* If no firmware update is available, the player will quickly exit the update process.
* Please refer to the owner's manual for additional details.

If you do not have an Ethernet-based broadband connection for your player or prefer not to use one, you may contact Toshiba Customer Solutions and request that a firmware update disc be sent by mail.

* You can update the firmware using this update disc by following the instructions provided with the disc.
* DO NOT UNPLUG, TURN OFF, OR USE ANY OTHER FEATURE OF YOUR PLAYER DURING THE FIRMWARE UPDATE PROCESS. Doing so will cause the writing of the firmware update to the player to be halted and the player may no longer operate properly. If the player stops working, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Please note that if you sent Toshiba the Firmware Update Request card included with your player, you will receive an update disc by mail from Toshiba as soon as it becomes available.

Frequently Asked Questions:

Q1. What does this update do?

A1. This update addresses some problems Toshiba has identified with HDMI/DVI connectivity and disc playback.

Q2. When I connect my HD DVD Player to my HDTV or HD Monitor using a HDMI to DVI adaptor cable or a HDMI to DVI adaptor, the output resolution of the player remains fixed at 480i. Does the new firmware address this issue?

A2. This firmware update addresses the issue. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q3. The HDMI output does not work or works intermittently with the HDMI or DVI input on my HDTV or monitor. Does the new firmware address that problem?

A3. The firmware update addresses and improves HDMI and DVI connectivity. If you still experience problems, try disconnecting and reconnecting the HDMI cable. Make sure your display input is set to HDMI (or DVI). If your display has more than one HDMI/DVI input, make sure that all connected HDMI/DVI source devices are powered on (even if not in use). If none of these solve the problem, please turn off the TV and the HD DVD player. Check all connections. Disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable. Turn on the TV first and then turn on the HD DVD player. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q4. During HD DVD playback I sometimes experience pixelization, block noise or audio dropouts. Sometimes playback freezes or stops. Sometimes, playback is not smooth. Does the new firmware address these issues?

A4. This firmware update addresses various playability issues. You should also check to be sure that the disc is clean and, if the disc will not operate at all, that you are inserting the disc with the right side up. Should you continue to experience problems, please contact Toshiba Customer Solutions at (800) 319-6684.

Q5. Do I need to install prior firmware updates before installing the current firmware update?

A5. No. The current firmware update includes all of the prior firmware updates.

This is the same set of Overview / Frequently Asked Questions posted by Toshiba since the first firmware upgrade. They don't mention what exact issues have been addressed ?

Overview:
As part of our commitment to provide world-class service to our customers, Toshiba

Wow, I think some of the guys on here are going to have an issue with this one :eek:

Doesn't seem like the issue we've identified are going to be addressed for some time:thumbsdow

Wow, I think some of the guys on here are going to have an issue with this one :eek:

Doesn't seem like the issue we've identified are going to be addressed for some time:thumbsdow

Yup, as well as no mention of audio delay there is also no mention of control of LFE sound level on the analogue sound output (on players thay have it), nor, dare I say it, proper zoom functionality. Yawn. My player has never frozen or otherwise misbehaved with 1.3 so dunno what the point of this is.

All I want to know is whether it addresses the playback problems with 'The Good Shephard' and 'Children of Men'

According to the review in the latest HCC, there will be a firmware update by July that not only enables 1080p24 output, but also compatibility with 25/50hz hi-def material. At the moment movies are being upconverted from 24p to 30/60hz as this is the only output mode available. A 1080p24 mode will improve PQ by removing unnecessary processing. I had been tempted to buy this player, but with all the teething problems I think I'll wait until for the next gen models.

One VERY important note that is on the avs forum is to remove any disc from the player before doing the firmware update! Several people ended up with a dead player.

For more: A2/XA2 firmware upgrade 1.2/1.3 [ remove disc first!] (this is the old firmware topic)

We don't want movies at 25p.

According to the review in the latest HCC, there will be a firmware update by July that not only enables 1080p24 output, but also compatibility with 25/50hz hi-def material.

At the moment the player is incompatible with 25/50hz high def material. It's a seperate issue. By July it will be 25/50hz enabled as well as being able to output films in their intended 24fps to compatible displays. Still, very few displays are currently able to display at 24fps anyway.

At the moment the player is incompatible with 25/50hz high def material. It's a seperate issue. By July it will be 25/50hz enabled as well as being able to output films in their intended 24fps to compatible displays. Still, very few displays are currently able to display at 24fps anyway.

Do you know if that is also scheduled for the first-gen players?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom