1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire transfer to PC poor qulaity. HELP

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by gonz, Aug 11, 2004.

1. gonz

gonz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I have a JVC DVX707 Mini-DV Camcorder with 1.3 CCD. I have transferred video to my PC via Fire-wire using both Windows Movie Maker (Ver. 2.0) & STOIK Capturer.
    I want to transfer to DVD-R but when I play back video it is very blocky/pixelated.

So far the transferred video is of poor quality and even with no compression set. It transfers to AVI running at high quality (720*480 res).

However it is at the moment better quality on VCR or even on mini-DV (played back on camcorder hooked up to TV) then on PC or digital format.

Is there any program I can use to capture RAW video instead of AVI or WMV. Ideally MPEG2 as this is the DVD format but I understand this is not possible, I just want the best video possible.

I have 4.3 GB on a DVD-R disc and an hour mini-DV so I want to utilise the space and get the best possible video quality. My computer is also beefy (P4 3.0, 1024 RAM).

I am lost, I though Fire-wire and DVD-r is the cream of technology and high video quality. I must be doing something wrong. Please help.

Thanks

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are you set to PAL or NTSC?.

I've not used Windows Movie Maker myself so beyond that (I was going by resolution, should be 720x576 for PAL format) I don't know.

I had a similar problem when I was using imovie and idvd, the quality was terrible, then I noticed the system was defaulting to NTSC, affecting both resolution and fluidity of motion (the resampling from 30fps to 25fps was causing problems).

3. gonz

gonz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I think it is defaulting to NTSC but it also is set to 15 (it says 'key') fps. There are many compression options but I am not sure which to choose as 'no compression' is defaulted to NTSC and it cannot be changed.

I am using STOIK Capturer.

Can you recommend a software where I can get 25fps, and setting to PAL which you use now.

Thanks