firewire to USB port?

D

Dell-Boy

My parents have a camcorder with a 4-pin DV out (firewire) port.

Their PC has USB 2.0 ports, but no firewire port.

They don't have a cable.

Question 1: Can I buy a cable that goes from the 4-pin firewire to a USB port?

If not, I guess I have to buy a firewire card and install it on the PC.

Question 2: If I can buy this cable, or the card for that matter, will I also need to buy video editing/capturing software?

Thanks for any info, and for any tips on what are good cables/cards/software.

Cheers,
DB

D

Dell-Boy

Thanks Mark, that settles it.

They have a new PC, windows xp is the o/s.
I don't know if it has any basic software, I'll have to check.
That sony package looks good.

Next step: I will have to buy and install a firewire card then.
Should cost about £40 I expect.

Cheers,
DB

senu

Distinguished Member
Even if you could use usb, firewire is the best way to transfer video to a PC.

There are breakout boxes Moviebox and the costlier Pro version by Pinnacle which work with Studio and Liquid ( Edition) which use USB2 . I mention them only for the sake of completeness.

A Firewire card and cable should cost you next to nothing. I was offered one last week for £12!
Most makes should be ok as the IEEE1394 protocol ( aka firewire, i-link) is now well established and most standard hardware would conform
to the OHCI standard.
Windows movie maker ( built into windows) and Nero Vision( fairly ubiquitous) will allow you to capture video and WMM allow some rudimentary editing .
What you want to do with ( and to) the captured video will determine if you need any additional software. Be aware too that captured video gobbles up HDD space fairly quickly ( One hour of DV avi=13G)
As Mark suggests the forum has various threads devoted to suggestions regarding software.

PS:You may look for a "bundle" where the software is bundled with a firewire card and cable as a way of getting it all in one package.
The potential downside is that sometimes thse bundles are used to get rid of older software so buy with care.
Good Luck:)

redsox_mark

Novice Member
With a Firewire card, it should be OHCI compliant (check this when buying).

XP has Windows "Movie Maker" built in. You can capture and edit with this, but not create DVDs. With something like the Sony Vegas package you have more advanced editing and DVD authoring.

Mark

senu

Distinguished Member
Dell-Boy said:
Thanks Mark, that settles it.

They have a new PC, windows xp is the o/s.
I don't know if it has any basic software, I'll have to check.
That sony package looks good.

Next step: I will have to buy and install a firewire card then.
Should cost about £40 I expect.

Cheers,
DB

Im just a bit suprised a new PC doesnt have an on board firewire port,
Some come with an easily missed mini port .
Obviously It may be yours is a customised motherboard for that particular PC manufacturer but most motherboards in the last 18 months seem to come with onboard firewire/ network interface.

D

Dell-Boy

Thanks guys.

My parents bought it from a guy who builds them himself. They forgot about mentioning their camcorder to him, so I guess he didn't put in a firewire port. Maybe he should have asked them ... but anyway, I've checked and it's not there.

I'll look out for a bundle, card+software+cable.

They have some version of Nero which I think burns DVDs. So maybe they can start with WMM for editing and Nero for burning. I'll look on those threads for software.

Thanks again for the tips,
DB

AFC

Standard Member
Dell-Boy said:
Thanks guys.

My parents bought it from a guy who builds them himself. They forgot about mentioning their camcorder to him, so I guess he didn't put in a firewire port. Maybe he should have asked them ... but anyway, I've checked and it's not there.

I'll look out for a bundle, card+software+cable.

They have some version of Nero which I think burns DVDs. So maybe they can start with WMM for editing and Nero for burning. I'll look on those threads for software.

Thanks again for the tips,
DB

If you're on the look out for a firewire card I can recommend the following:
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/prod...2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X3Jldmlld3M=&product_uid=78455

Very good value and a breeze to install on a machine with XP. It recognises it straight away and there's no drivers to install. It also comes with a firewire lead.

It's got 3 firewires ports on it so if you need to attach an external hard drive to store old films then there's room to plug that in too.... :thumbsup:

D

Dell-Boy

Thanks for that link - it's a "bundle" with card+cable+software (ulead)

all at a pretty handy price.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung TV Launch & QN95A Neo QLED Review, plus Film & TV news & Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom