1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire stopped working

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by martincooper, Nov 10, 2003.

1. martincooper

martincooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought a JCV GR-DVP9 two months ago, and having successfully used firewire to capture video on my laptop using Windows Movie Maker several times it has now ceased working. When I plug in the camera it is not recognised by the laptop at all, no beep no new hardware found, nothing. When I select capture video in movie maker I get the same error that I would get if the camera really isn't connected. Since it used to work I suspect the Camcorder has gone faulty - I've tried 2 firewire cables 3 PC's and two firewire cards with the same result.
    I would normally reinstall drivers at this point but am I right in thinking there is no driver for the camera for firewire ? I have mislaid the CD which came with the camera but I thought it only had drivers for USB...
    I'm taking the camera back to Jessops today to try to get a replacement/refund. I'm taking the laptop - hopefully they have another in stock I can test to prove the camera is faulty. Problem is I fly to Australia for 10 weeks in 5 days (that's why I bought the camcorder). What chance of getting this resolved before I go ? ...:mad:

2. martincooper

martincooper

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hee. Took Camcorder into Jessops and they've agreed to give me a new one. Didn't even have to argue.:clap:
    Only snag is they didn't have one in stock, so they're shipping one from another shop. Should be in tommorrow. I'm glad I didn't buy off the Internet now - I don't think I would have got this sorted so easily ?

3. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    With their internet price matching, buying from Jessops really is a no brainer.
    I have bought from them on several occassions and never had any real problems. My first digicam did have a slight fault, so I took it to another branch than I bought it from and they swapped it out with no argument.

Nice one Jessops :smashin:

Mark.

4. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    This is not just coincidence on Jessops part.

It is part of their whole marketing strategy.

They know that they have to compete with the online retailers and have seen a lot of business go to such retailers in the past.

Whilst they will compete on price, they are trying hard to make you WANT to buy from them anyway. This means having staff that know what they are talking about, good customer service and good stock levels.

And guess what?

It's working.