Firewire Splitters

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by Richard Jones, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

I'm thinking of installing an external LCD monitor for editing and know that I need both a convertor (any recommendations of a suitable one at a sensible price?) and a firewire connection.

My PC has only a single (6 point) firewire port which is not easily accessible as it is placed at the back of the box. Because of this I leave my firewire lead permanently connected so that I merely have to attach the 4 point plug at the end of this into the the camera to capture video for use in my editing programme (Sony Vegas 6).

This works well and it would be convenient if I could use a similar arrangement for attaching the convertor but the only way I could do this would be to use a firewire splitter (i.e. a single lead with one end connected to the back of the PC with the other ending in two plugs into which I could attach the firewire links to the camera and the convertor). I guess that I could probably use only one of these terminals at any one time but do not know if such a splitter exist or even whether it woud be sensible to make my connections in this way.

In short, do firewire splitters exist and, if so, where might I get one and is this a good idea anyway?

Best Wishes,

Richard Jones

2. chrishull3

chrishull3

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +282
    i hope someone proves me wrong but i dont think you can get one,i could not find them with keene electrics and they have most things.

since i sent the reply a message has come through to me that keene electrics do sell them,ring them to be sure .chris

3. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +620
  4. Richard Jones

Richard Jones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Hi,

Very many thanks to Chris and the always-on-the-ball Mark. A big help and much appreciated.

Best Wishes,

Richard