1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire PCMCIA to Sony MiniDV

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Clynton, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Clynton

Clynton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Once installing a PCMCIA Firewire card to my ageing Compaq Presarios 2700 laptop - can anyone confirm the firewire connectivity to a Sony MiniDV Camcorder is sound? :confused:

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Sorry, don't quite get what you are asking. Are you asking if the firewire connection carries the sound (ie audio) from ther cam to the laptop? If so then the answer is 'yes'. Firewire carries both the audio and video.

If that was not the question then sorry, but can you reword it as getting up at 05:00 this morning doesn't help much with remembering my own name let alone anything else :blush:

Mark.

3. Clynton

Clynton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorri Mark - could also be my South African accent :laugh:

I meant:

Does anyone know whether there is/are any problems with connectivity between any/Sony DV camcorders via Firewire through a PCMCIA card on a laptop?

I read a review that there seems to be some trouble transferring any type of data through the PCMCIA card.

Also, I am contemplating purchasing a reasonable(£250ish) DVD recorder with a firewire input to get my MiniDV tapes onto DVD to send back home(SA) for the family to see, is this a good idea?

I REALLY appreciate any input here!!

ps. Mark you are a legend! :thumbsup:

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,380
    Oh sorry. Just had my lunch so almost awake now!

Right, I am not aware of any problems with a PCMCIA firewire card being used with Sony camcorders. I have advised a few people on this forum about editing on a laptop and none have come back to say they have problems once they get the hang of the software etc and I'm sure a fair few of them were useing Sony cams. There may however be some problems with certain laptops or PCMCIA cards, but I am not aware of any.

If you are going to edit the footage on the laptop, then why not create the DVD on there as well? Other than that I see no reason why you can't create DVDs to send back to SA unless their TV system is not PAL (like wot we use in UK).

Mark.