• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Firewire Optical Drives

Jezrh

Standard Member
Hi all,

I have a few questions here...

Firstly, I have a 13" MacBook (white) with a Firewire 400 port. I have plugged into it a WD 1.5TB external HDD (Firewire 800 drive with 400 adapter). The WD drive has a spare 800 port on the back... Am I right in thinking this is for "daisy-chaining"? If so, how does it work?

Secondly, I saw a thread on a different forum about Firewire Optical Drives (although it was dated back to 2007, would like some more recent feedback if possible ;) )...

I've found a Firewire OD on ebuyer which says it'll read BDs and HD-DVDs, and write DVDs (and therefore, presumably, CDs?)

Freecom 33979 8x BD-ROM with DVD±RW DL &amp.. | Ebuyer.com

Will this work when plugged into a MacBook? And then, if it will, will I need additional software to play BDs / HD-DVDs with it?

I'd quite like to be able to rip BDs / HD-DVDs if possible and then convert them into streaming friendly HD films, can this be done? I use Handbrake to rip DVDs, will that work for them too?

Hope this all makes sense... Sorry for the long post :facepalm:

Thanks in advance,

Jez

Tenex

Distinguished Member
Yes that's right plug the next firewire device into the other port, job done.

Can't help with the OD - Macs don't support Bluray (though Toast will burn them I think).

nigelbb

Distinguished Member
OS X does support Blu-ray just not Blu-ray video disks. You can burn data to Blu-ray disks without any extra software.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom