Firewire not recognised after Windows 7 install

daverwhite

Standard Member
Reaction score
I have a Sony DCR51E camcorder and a HP Dv7 1000 laptop.
With Vista i used to connect the firewire cable and the camcoder would be recognised automatically, (with two "ding" sounds) and i would be able to import video with Windows Movie Maker.

After installing Windows 7 i cannot do this. I have downloaded and installed Windows Movie Maker as part of Windows Live, (as it is not included in Windows 7 as standard) and i have updated my drivers but the firewire cable/camcorder are no longer recognised when i connect them up.

I have tried a new, (4 pin to 4 pin, same as the original), firewire cable from Maplin but this makes no difference.

Please can you advise of any way to fix this problem?

Thanks

I do get a IEEE 1394 bus host controller in device manager and i updated this to the legacy version driver, but still no difference. HP do not have any updates, they just suggest going through device manager for auto updates.

Iit just seems too much of a co-incidence that it was fine under Vista the day before then i install Windows 7 and nothing.

I have just downloaded chipset driver updates and update to my bios, as suggested by HP....to no avail. They suggested i contact Sony, but i pointed out that all worked before i swapped Windows 7 for Vista.

Hi

When you tried the legacy drivers did you use the "1394 OCHI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" driver.

I had similar problems to you and changing the default Texas Instruments driver to that one solved the problem.

Regards

Phil

PhilipL,

Thanks for the reply.

Yes i changed the regular driver to the "1394 OCHI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)" driver, but it has made no difference.

Sony have tols me today that they do not have support for camcorders if Windows 7 was not factory fitted, so if anyone has a Sony camcorder it will be very unlikely that you can use your camcorder to connect to your laptop/pc if you have upgraded to Windows 7 or done a clean install yourself.

Sony tell me that they think a fix is probably being worked on as they have had loads of complaints, but they cannot confirm that it actually is being worked on and if so if/when the fix will be ready.

I know i won't be buying anything from Sony again.

Sony have tols me today that they do not have support for camcorders if Windows 7 was not factory fitted, so if anyone has a Sony camcorder it will be very unlikely that you can use your camcorder to connect to your laptop/pc if you have upgraded to Windows 7 or done a clean install yourself.

Sony tell me that they think a fix is probably being worked on as they have had loads of complaints, but they cannot confirm that it actually is being worked on and if so if/when the fix will be ready.

I know i won't be buying anything from Sony again.

I have the same problem with my Panasonic NV-GS3 camcorder, I too changed the driver to the 1394 legacy driver with no result. From reading up on this Microsoft updated the 1394 drivers but this resulted in older equipment not being recognised via firewire. So it is MS to blame really.

My next idea was to buy a PCI and PCI-E fireware card.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom