1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire Help

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by marshy.dave, Oct 21, 2004.

1. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All,

I recently purchased the Sony DCR-TRV460E and have just received my 6pin to 4 pin i-link cable from e-buyer, but I am struggling.

I basically just want to transfer my footage to my PC so I get burn it to DVD but when I plug the cable in my PC does not pick up the camera. I have never used this connection before so dont know what to expect, should it detect new hardware like it does when u use USB?

Do I need to change any settings on my PC?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. johnjackthom

johnjackthom

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +250
    Hi MarshyDave, Are you using Windows XP and have you checked Device Manager to see whether you have entries for "1394 Bus Controller" and "Imaging Device"?

Under XP the camera should be detected when first connected and powered up.

John

3. marshy.dave

marshy.dave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I definatley have the bus controller and a netwrok entry but the camera is not there under imaging hardware

I am now wondering whether the firewire port is connected to my motherboard

4. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You must also not only have your camcorder switched on but it must be in 'VCR' mode - named differently on some cameras but is the mode you use to play your videos to your TV. it should NOT be in the normal camera record mode.