Firewire ...eh wire

Dave N

Standard Member
Reaction score
Probably slightly dumb question but is the cable I need to go from my Panasonic DS35 to my PC (which has a Firewire card) just a "bog standard" Firewire cable? Or , to put it another way, is Firewire a physical description as well as a protocol standrd? Assuming yes, where would I get such a thing?

Thnx
Dave

ok I've half answered my own question...... think I need one of these (from Dabs site) Question now is which one? 4 or 6 pin?

Thanx
D

FirePath IEEE1394 4pin(AV) to 4pin(AV) cable 1.8M
Mfr code: F3N402F06-ICE
Quicklinx: SLLWS
8 now
7 1-3 days £15.30
£17.97
Firepath IEEE1394 6pin(PC) to 6pin(PC) cable 1.8M
Mfr code: F3N400-06-ICE
Quicklinx: TCBWS
8 now
1856 1-3 days £9.90
£11.63

I'd be slightly surprised if it was either of those.

Check the specs on the camera and the firewire card. If the camera end isn't a proprietary connector it will most likely be a four pin and the PC end will most likely be a six pin.

Yup yr right - the camera is four pin - although having difficulty finding out what the PC is as all the docs seem to have been "filed" away somewhere I cant find them.
Thanks anyway
D

D_M,
Nice one - will double check what the PC is but looking like a 4-6 from Maplin as you say - thanks for your help.
D

Tomson

Not yet - still trying to find out that the connector is on the Panasonic.
D

I've never seen a camcorder with 6 pin or a computer with 4 pin.
You just need a standard 4pin - 6pin firewire cable. There's nothing complicated about them.

Dabs Quicklinx: 17HXWS
£16

Desmo (got yr 999 yet?:)

OK thanks for that. I was hesitant because the socket on the camera, which does indeed have 4 contacts, looks nothing like the socket on the PC. I was expecting them to be same and was concerned that the camera was some sort of proprietary thing. The PC socket is labelled IEE1394 so I guess that one is correct. The camera one is about 3x5mm with an inward notch on the long side, contacts located in the middle - sound OK?

Cheers
Dave (Blackbird!)

Yeah, thats right mate. Definately the 4-6 pin cable you need.

As for the 999, I'm not really interested in it that much. I mainly use my bike on the track now so it's not worth swapping to a new one. The 996 does me fine.

I'm off to Nogaro in France next Friday for a four day track session :)

This is what my bike looks like now

stickers_front.jpg

Jimbo,

Top man - thanks for yr help on that. Cable ordered.

Nice machine (no night riding then :) ). Thinking about some track days for next year - did a cornering course at Thruxton a year of so back - great fun but always nervous about dumping it. Blackbirds not the most agile round corners of course.

Cheers
Dave

No, I wouldn't have thought the Blackbird is the most agile bike on the road :)
I warn you though, do one trackday and you'll want to do more. It can get pretty addictive. And expensive :(
Broke my collarbone at Donington earlier in the year and had to do a few minor repairs to the bike. Still, it's all good fun.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom