1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire dosn't like my video camera

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by inzane, Jul 24, 2005.

1. inzane

inzane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi forum,

I have recently bought a Firewire card for my PC, which in itself seems to work fine.
    However no software I use seems to be able to pick up my digital video camera.

I am using Windows Xp Sp1
    Panasonic mx-300 DV video camera

I have 1394 connection showing as 'Enabled' in 'Network Connections',
    and the card shows up in 'Device manager'

I have tried Windows movie maker, Pinnacle, Ulead, and other software to try and detect the camera, but I dont think the editing software
    is the issue here.

I hope someone knows the answer, I have been trying to get this to work for nearly two days solid when I really should be getting on with my life.
    :)

Cheers

Tim

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Me suspects that the problem here lies with the camcorder, the MX300 has an analogue input as well as a DV input, it is likely that the camera is set up for AV input (in VCR mode) and so the firewire may be disabled.

If you go into the VCR system menu and check that the camera is set up for DV in/out as opposed to AV in/out, this may solve the problem.

Let us know how it goes and I'll throw another few options your way

3. inzane

inzane

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok the settings I have are 'DV OUT' set to 'ON' in the 'AV IN/OUT SETUP' menu......No joy.

Tim

4. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, go into the start menu, select 'System', select 'hardware', select 'device manager', expand 'IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers' the odds are this may have a warning sign next to it, double clikc, try 'troubleshoot', click update 'driver', disable web search option and let xp allocate its own driver.

THIS ADVICE IS GIVEN WITH IMPUNITY FROM ANY LIABILITY, SHOULD YOU FOLLOW THIS ADVICE YOU DO SO AT YOUR OWN RISK

5. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,388
    A dud firewire cable could also be the problem. Try replacing the cable and see if the PC picks up the cam now.

I assume that the cam is put into VCR mode for capture and is connected and powered on before the editing software is started.

Mark.

6. cosmin_v

cosmin_v
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    same problem here: xp pro sp2 with asus k8ne deluxe mobo and sony dcr-hc32; the camera it's not recognized through firewire, but everything works fine through usb connection.
    do you have any suggestions?

7. SamRadford

SamRadford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Crap firewire cable is a common source of problems. Is it a 6 pin plug at each end? If so, try a Google search for something like "high reliability 6-6 Firewire cable".

I've found that cheap thin cables and also transparent cables (for some unknown reason) don't work reliably.

8. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, within the software (and I don;t know it, I basing this on other applications) check for device control options, it should say something like DV Generic 2.0, select the most basic option and try again.

9. JulieLapham

JulieLapham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got exactly the same problem with a brand new JVC GR-D240 digital camcorder. My first firewire card wouldn't install so I bought a second more expensive one which works fine according to device manager.
    I'm running Windows XP SP2 and have updated DirectX as told to by JVC tech support. The cam is on mains, in play mode and has the viewfinder open. Both Windows Movie Maker and Nero 6 tell me "No suitable capture device present."
    I've been trying to sort this out for 3 days now and don't seem to be any closer to success than when I started.
    Is using a USB connector a suitable alternative? I guess it would be DV out to USB.
    The family are off to the Red Sea in a couple of weeks and I really only bought the camera for this last holiday together. Being unable to edit the footage on our return and produce DVD's for everyone was the whole point of a purchase which I couldn't really afford. (Great thing, credit!?)
    Any help would be greatly appreciated. The cable supplied with the cam seems like a good quality one..(I don't suppose JVC would ship a cheap one with it) so I'm all out of ideas! :thumbsdow
    It's not worth asking in P.C World or similar for advice so I won't even bother. Hopefully one of you guys (Or girls!) might be able to help!

Many Thanks,
    Julie