1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire cards-advice wanted on best types/manufactures please.

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by PAUL HUTTON, Jun 2, 2005.

1. PAUL HUTTON

PAUL HUTTON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello there,I have just bought a Dell Dimension 5000 desktop,which has a 160Gb HD,1Gb ram,Pentium 4 -2.8 Ghz proc,16x max dvd+/- rw dual layer drive.I also have a 2 year old Dcr/trv16e Sony Dig Vid camcorder with an i-link o/p which i would like to hook up to the pc to do some editing.I am going to start of using the pre-installed Movie Maker package that came with XP/sp2. As the camcorders baud rate is limited to 100/200/400Mbs/s,I have been told not to bother with the new 800Mbs/s firewire cards,is this correct.Could any body tell me if the following makes of card are reliable and ok to fit into the pci slots of my pc.Nec/Startech/PC-line,which all come with a cable included.Would i be able to play the DL discs burnt on the pc in a conventional home player.What other points do i need to look out for please.
    I would appreciate any advice on this subject.

Paul

2. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    There is no point IMO paying extra money for the fastest firewire cards if the camcorder does not use/need the aditional speed.
    Basically any bog standard firewire card for around £10 online and including the firewire cable will do everything you want, to be able to capture your footage from your digital camcorder.
    DL is still very new and therefore can be more problematic than it is worth. I would advise sticking to SL DVD at the moment as the DL discs are still very expensive and the authoring software for DL is still not that reliable. You are likely to end up with more coasters than playable discs.

Mark.

3. PAUL HUTTON

PAUL HUTTON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Mark,thanks for replying .
    I have noticed on this forum that some one said it is a good idea to have 2 hard drives or partition the one you have so that you can solely use one to edit to ,and the other is used for all your other programs.Is this necassary or would i be alright editing straight onto my HD with out doing anything to it. Does Movie Maker take me through all the necassary steps do you know.

Paul

4. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    2 HDD's are ideal for editing video as the IDE interface is stretched close to it's limits when captureing video. With 2 HDD's you get twice the throughput of data, the programs on one drive and the video on the other. IMO there is little point in just having a separate partition on the same HDD as there is no additional capacity on the IDE interface. However it is not a requirement but just an big advantage. You will get away with just a single HDD, at least at first.

Full help on useing Movie maker can be found at www.papajohn.org

Mark.

5. PAUL HUTTON

PAUL HUTTON
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again Mark,
    Would there be any benifit to me enabling "DMA" for the HD as i have read some where that a lot of people do this to improve things when transfering data from a Dig camcorder.Mind you i also read some where else that doing this actually caused serious problems to the running of their computer.Or should i just have a go first ,and then if i have problems ,then start altering settings here and there.

Paul

6. MarkE19

MarkE19

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,393
    Enabling DMA on your HDD's will give a definate performance improvement!
    My PC is a preconfigured machine setup for video editing and was set with DMA enable for both my HDD's. This was setup by experts and therefore I guess they know better than most how to get the best out of a NLE PC. I have never heard of enabling DMA causeing any problems with the machine, so IMO you should enable it now and only disable DMA if it does cause problems.
    AFAIK the reason for not always having DMA enabled is that early IDE CD-ROM etc drives would not work with DMA. Any modern drives should all be able to work with DMA, but on my system the setting is 'use DMA when available', so if there is a problem the IDE channel drops backwards so it can still work.

Mark.