1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire Card

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by andystud, Apr 14, 2002.

1. andystud

andystud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a firewirwe ieee1394 card for my PC, but the cheapest i can find is about 50 pounds, while people have been posting saying they're about 25-30 pounds.
    I don't need the software as i already have some so can someone advise me on where to look for the card only.

2. Rathion

Rathion
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I just bought one from Komplett for £35.57 Total.

Thats 27 + vat + £3 delivery.

Theres probably cheaper but I thought it was reasonable.

Comes with cable and some MGI videowave software.

HTH

3. Dubbing Mixer

Dubbing Mixer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Check out Scan.co.uk

They have several including full retail boxed with a cable(a not insignificant freebie if you need one) For between 20 and 40 quid. Plus look out for their 'Today Only' specials which make it cheaper still.

4. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Try dabs value. It is OCHI compliant so it should use standard windows drivers. This one has a different chipset manufacture to the one I bought this one being Lucent and my one being based on the ALI chipset.

Anyway the price is still low:

http://www.dabs.com/value/value.asp?s=489

YJ

5. andystud

andystud

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i had already noticed the Dabs priced and placed an order.
    £18 in total. Ordered it 6:30 on tuesday and it arrived on wednesday.

6. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you're due to upgrade your sound card, you could get a Soundblaster Audigy with built in Firewire port.

I've got one and it works fine with Premiere and Studio DV.

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi
    I have a sound blaster audigy card. I'm seriously thinking of going digital and Im a bit confused re firewire cables.

I've seen cable connectors advertised with 4-6 pin Etc. can you tell me the pin size of firewire cable I need to connect into my sound blaster audigy firewire port.

Thanks in advance

Gerabus

8. whiskers

whiskers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just found out that there are several firewire cards. If you want it for using on a DV camcorder then make sure it is an IEEE1394. I purchased a Belkin F5U104 and it is basically only for games.

9. YJ

YJ
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Audigy has 6 pin cable connector and most DV cams & DVHS players have 4 pin connectors. The two pins that have been remove carry power, across the cable.
    Most if not all have firewire cards have 2 or 3 external ports they are 6 pin. Generally you get a 6 pin to 4 pin cable packaged in the box when you purchase a firewire card.

If for any reason you wish to buy an additional cable just visit www.jetmedia.co.uk/ I find their prices to be very competitive, just look under the USB section for the prices.

Richard, I’m sorry to hear that you learning about it through the expensive way.

Hope this helps :)

YJ

10. dmckillop

dmckillop

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Gerabus, you need to turn your private messages on, I couldn't reply to you :)

All I'm using is a standard 4 - 6 pin cable. I didn't fancy being ripped off at Dixons, so I bought one off Ebay for a fiver.