1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire Card - One Problem Down, One To go!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Josie112, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Further to my previous 'Problem With Firewire Card' thread I have had some success and moved the whole situation on. Unfortunately I have encountered another problem.

Thanks to some great help from a local PC dealer I have managed to get my PC to recognise and install the firewire card. (I have confirmed this via device manager, where 'IEEE1394 Bus host controllers' is alive and kicking with no yellow or red exclamation marks).

Now for the problem. When I connect my firewire (first to the PC & then to my camcorder) and try to capture a movie I get the 'A video capture device was not detected' message. This happens with both Movie Maker and Pixela, where the message reads 'camcorder not detected'. The firewire is the correct 4pin to 4pin as recommended for my Sony HC40E.

Any suggestions?

2. thebrummy_one

thebrummy_one

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    You could try the permetations of rebooting your pc with your cam connected/not connected, switched on/off. This sometimes helps give Windows a little nudge in the rigth direction. ;)

3. Brian110507

Brian110507

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does your PC actually have a 4 pin firewire port Josie ? - it may do but they are still fairly rare, a PC usually has a 6pin firewire socket - a laptop will usually have a 4pin socket - basically - are you sure your connecting via firewire.

is your camcorder switced on and set to 'VCR' or 'Playback' or whatever you have to select to play your video back onto a TV.

4. Josie112

Josie112

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for replying guys,

No luck with the rebooting suggestion and yes, I do have a 4pin port on my PC. I installed the card myself and it came with 2 x 6pin and 1 x 4pin ports. I know the card has been recognised as confirmed in device manager.

In desperation I have ordered another firewire and will try that when it is delivered. I just can't think of anything else to do?

5. vonhosen

vonhosen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    See if you can borrow a 4pin to 6pin cable first to see if thye 6pin input works.