1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewire card arrived today!...but it doesn't work!

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by Robstro, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Robstro

Robstro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly it didn't come with hardware installation guide like promised :( But I have it installed now. My camera (Panasonic NV-DS30b) is not recognised as being connected in Premiere.
    Is there any way of testing to make sure the actual card is installed/functioning correctly before I try and connect my camera?

Secondly, this may sound silly, how far in does the 6 pin end of the cable go into the card? It doesn't seem to go all the way in (so that the insulation is flush with the firewire card), should it? I don't want to push too hard in case I break it.

Reply soon please :) I have been waiting for this card for ages, and now it doesn't work :(

All help greatly appreciated

Cheers
    Robbie

2. coolammo

coolammo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have u checked under system in control panel, it should be listed under Bus controller. There is no way of knowing it works without connecting your camera. Has it got Hot Swap Rwady, if not u may have to plug the wire in, before u turn the computer on.

If u have a pre windows 98se , u will require a driver for your firewire card, for it to work in Premiere.
    It should go straight in, so you cannot see the connector, make sure u r putting it the right way round.

Hope this helps!

3. Robstro

Robstro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Firewire card shows up in Control Panel so I know Windows recognises it. I am running ME so I don't need drivers.
    Still no luck with Premiere, I'll try another program in the mean time.
    Cheers
    Robbie

4. Robstro

Robstro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Panic over!
    I got it working!
    I received a power cable for the firewire card (connects a small power connector on the card to the main power cable, black yellow and red thing, in the computer). Because I had no hardware installation guid I connected the two, as they had given me the cable.
    Just now I tried disconnecting the power cable and turning the computer back on. Lo and behold, it works!

:D

Thanks for all the help coolammo :D No thanks to InnoDV and their non-existant installation guides :x
    Lol, I don't care now, it is working :D
    Cheers
    Robbie

5. MJViney

MJViney
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I had a similar problem when trying to connect my Sony to the Firewire Card (see a previous thred)

No one was interested from Sony or The Card manufacturer. Everything checked out in the Device Manager under ME but still neither Windows Movie Maker or Video Wave recognised the camcorder.

So was ME at fault? had it become corrupted?

I reinstalled ME and evrything worked straight away!!!

The frustration is that through forums you can see this is a very common problem but Sony have absolutely no interest at all in offering any type of advice on whaere to look for the problem.

Anyway it worked for me.

All the best

Mike