1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewall advice needed

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by squirrely, Jul 19, 2005.

1. squirrely

squirrely

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi everybody.

I need some advice regarding running two firewalls. I have just installed Bullguard that came with its own firewall,i also have zonealarm free installed, is it ok to run both? if not what one do you think i should shut down? thanks,:smashin:

2. Seth Gecko

Seth Gecko
    retired member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +193
    While it is ok to run both, in practice it shouldn't be needed. I have to admit I was using Zone Alarms until they upgraded the software and my XP went completely wonky - so I changed to BitDefender Internet Security (touch wood it's fine)

Having said that - you can't beat a hardware one :)

3. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Sorry to butt in..........

But can you control those applications that connect to the internet automatically with a hardware one? I'm using norton and a netgear router at the moment as I've not been able to work out how to use apllication control with the router if it is indeed possible; manual to be fair is "vague" to say the least.

Cheers all

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    If you need an open Inbound port, You need to setup a service on your Netgear router, using the TCP port that the program specifies, and map the service to the IP Address your PC is using on the LAN.

You then add the service into the 'FW rules' config, with Action set to 'allow always' and you're done.

If you want to control outbound programs, you'll have to change the default Outbound rule to 'Deny All'..then add services/rules for the stuff you DO want to get out. - I'd stay away from this approach though, unless you have lots of patience.. ;)

HW is always better...faster AND more secure.

5. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    I wouldn't run both. For no other reason that it's using up resources for no good reason. A Hardware firewall is great as it provides good external hacking prevention, but a software firewall is also needed to stop outward bound hijacking. I run both. The router has the HW wall' and Sygate is on each PC.

As the dude says configuring the router to block outgoing traffic is a heavy duty task. Much easier to use a software wall as well - as long as it's not Windows own or Nortons pos.

6. gjc-ortho

gjc-ortho

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks both for your advice. BTW, what is wrong with norton?

7. overkill

overkill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,194
    Norton is a resource hog of the 1st water. Invasive and over complex. I run systemworks, but only on my 'business' partitions as it can slow down the system for games.

'Internet security' is a joke. I couldn't even connect the laptop to the AP while it was running! You had to disable it or you couldn't connect. After spending ages trying to do what it takes 2 minutes with Sygate and Zonealarm, I dumped it as bad news. I had it on another PC years ago and it was much easier to use. Now it's become serious bloatware.

Norton are under the illusion that more and more complex means better. It doesn't. Just look at XP...............

8. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,515
    For anyone interested, the Desktop Firewall included with McAfee V8 seems pretty solid, I've just been rolling this out and it seems OK.

I've not done any hardcore testing yet, but will post back with results one day... ;)

9. Dr Diversity

Dr Diversity

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am running Zone Alarm free edition on the software side and using the Voyager 205 on the hardware side. Spent over an hour last night trying to back up my files but could not connect the two computers. Eventually realised that Zone Alarm was doing its job. When I added some IPs to the trusted zone all was well :blush: I could have read the instructions but I hadn't got to the two day limit whereby engineers are allowed to open the manual!

10. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    I just run the Bullguard one. Never had any problems.