FireTV Cube - Device control?

JF1980

Hi all,

I just brought a FireTV Cube to replace my old 4K Fire TV Stick. They were on a half price sale and I figured it might be a nice little upgrade.

The Cube is connected to the same HDMI input on my soundbar that I used for the 4K Stick. However, where my stick would allow me to control soundbar/TV volume and power via HDMI control (using the FireTV remote); it appears the Fire TV Cube will not. Odd because it works the other way, i.e. I can control the FireTV with my TV remote. I have HDMI-CEC enabled on the Cube but it doesn't seem to work. If I go to the 'Device Control' menu item on the Cube it just wants to setup IR devices which is not something I'm interested in.

Is this expected - i.e. the Cube only supports device control via IR and not HDMI control? If not does anyone have any idea why the old Fire TV 4K stick would work with my devices and not the Cube?

If it's not possible to get this to work then I'll be sending the Cube back. No desire to use the IR blaster.

Thanks.

JF1980

Yep already done, and the fact I can navigate the FireTV menus using the Sony TV remote suggests it's working to some extent.

If the TV remote had a button equating to the FireTV 'options' button then it wouldn't be an issue and I'd just use the TV remote for everything.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
Yep already done, and the fact I can navigate the FireTV menus using the Sony TV remote suggests it's working to some extent.
If you look at the description next to the Cube's CEC option, it does talk about the TV remote controlling the Cube & not the other way round.
If the TV remote had a button equating to the FireTV 'options' button then it wouldn't be an issue and I'd just use the TV remote for everything.
Options is only really used for housekeeping, adding, deleting or re-arranging apps. So once set up, you shouldn't need it routinely.

The latest video from AVForums

Sony Bravia XR A80J OLED TV Review
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom