Firestone Audio Spitfire MkII USB & SPDIF DAC – December Special Offer 139.00 Euros

CJROSS

Firestone Audio Spitfire MkII USB & SPDIF DAC – December Special Offer 139.00 Euros

Just ordered one to use with my Mini-T 2020 Class T amp, lovely reduction from its normal price, anyway, shipped from Nederlands £122 last night.........(Euro 139.00) anyway some speel here.

Only during December 2010, we will offer the new Spitfire MKII for a special price ! Normal price € 249. December Bargain price € 139. Only from 1-12-2010 to 31-12-2010 You can allready Buy/Pre-Book your Spitfire MKII now below !

The 2010 "Spitfire MKII" DAC is coming...
Expected Delivery date per 1-12-2010 !

The new MKII is adding 16-bit USB connectivity to the allready best tested Firestone Audio Cute-DAC ever ! The Spitfire DAC is a perfect upgrade for any CD/DVD or computer soundcard based system. Digital inputs are auto selected via USB (priority), SPDIF Toslink optical or RCA coaxial.

The new Spitfire MKII connects via USB and SPDIF Optical and Coaxial input. The Spitfire DAC is a perfect upgrade for the CD/DVD player and computer system with Audio. Digital inputs are auto selected via Toslink optical(priority) or RCA coaxial.

Connectivity
Digital Input : USB, SPDIF one Coaxial jack, one Optical jack
Line Output : 1 of RCA jack

Firestone Audio Spitfire MkII - Silver

Spitfire MKII - Preview !

Firestone Audio - All products

Mr Pig

Novice Member
Cool. My son's needing a new DAC and this looks ideal. Do you know how it stacks up against a Beresford?

CJROSS

Well I have had 2 B-DACs in the past 7510s of Mk5 & Mk6 variety (no longer have those sold on), they sounded very nice, they were as easily comparable to any sub £500 Intergated CDP IMHO. I am not acutally into saying what is "better" with DACs TBH or which is best so many variable......systems, rooms, ears....FWIW I have bought this little DAC as it is small factor (and silver fascia) and will make a system with a £60 Mini-T 2020 20W Class T amp for a PC via USB and a DVD player feed via Toslink.

CJROSS

Well the old girl arrived today from Holland, lovely bit of kit, solid build, hooked up via USB doing as intended via PC duty. WAV & Spotify use, lovely device to my ears, cheers Stands.euro one happy customer. Away to try a cheapo DVD player as Toslink/Coaxial transport too.

Mr Pig

Novice Member
My son's Spitfire arrived last week. I agree that it's nicely made although the power supply seems very low rent!

On the brief listens I've had in my son's room it does seem nice. Good pacey and involving sound with good separation and dynamics. No trace of harshness either. Unfortunately we no longer have the Beresford so I can't comment on how they compare. However I did try the Beresford in my system for a while and I'll do that with the Spitfire too. I'll have a much better idea of what it sounds like then.

DIBSTER

I was seriously contemplating one of these but finally went for the Berseford Caiman instead (currently £199). The main reason being that the BC has a top notch headphone amp facility and thats what swung it for me finally.

I've heard nothing but good reports about the Firestone however and am sure they are really good.

J2C

Novice Member
I'm hoping my Spitfire is wrapped up somewhere, otherwise I'll have to order one pretty quickly! Looking forward to seeing how it compares to the DACMagic. It's going in the bedroom for a second headphone set up.

iTouch-> Pure i-20 iPod Dock -> CA Optical -> Spitfire MkII-> Graham Slee Novo -> Denon D5000.

Should be a tidy little system, the dock has the biggest profile.

My son's Spitfire arrived last week. I agree that it's nicely made although the power supply seems very low rent!

Firestone Audio sell an external PSU compatible with all their products, which is probably why they bundle cheaper supplies.

Mr Pig

Novice Member
I went for the Berseford Caiman instead

Can't go wrong with that and it's much more flexible. As well as the headphone output is has both variable and fixed line level outs and it has double the inputs. The only reason we bought the Spitfire over a Beresford was the introductory offer made the price attractive.

However I've since found that the price of the 7520 is reduced just now, if I'd known that I would probably have bought one.

CJROSS

Great little unit, sounds damned spiffing to these ears being honest. Also hooked it up today to the 3000 ES system & Diapasons, transport was the CDP-X3000ES top loader via coaxial, stunning sound in that system too, then hooked up a £30 DVD player in same system with a 6m toslink cable. Hmmmm sounded just as good too. Only downside supplied with a euro pin 2 plug and a cheap UK plug adaptor, euro 2 pin plug sits into this, but a shade wobbly. So a new PSU maybe required but it works perfectly when sited flat.

So now have a rather cracking sounding DAC that is the same dimensions as the Mini-T 2020, anyone about to spend £1000 on an Amp & Source, should look at this combo. Rather stunning. Hifi is becoming a much easier place to get VFM from kit.

alasrati

Novice Member
That is a neat-looking solution.

No need for a new PSU. Just cut the old plug off, strip the wires a bit and get a three prong plug and wire it up. If you can't wire a plug then you're not a real man. :p

alasrati

Novice Member
Well if I knew that it was a wall wart, I wouldn't have suggested it. :facepalm:

Anyway, check Maplins for a replacement. Just match the specs/connector.

trailer

Novice Member
Great little unit, sounds damned spiffing to these ears being honest. Also hooked it up today to the 3000 ES system & Diapasons, transport was the CDP-X3000ES top loader via coaxial, stunning sound in that system too, then hooked up a £30 DVD player in same system with a 6m toslink cable. Hmmmm sounded just as good too. Only downside supplied with a euro pin 2 plug and a cheap UK plug adaptor, euro 2 pin plug sits into this, but a shade wobbly. So a new PSU maybe required but it works perfectly when sited flat.

So now have a rather cracking sounding DAC that is the same dimensions as the Mini-T 2020, anyone about to spend £1000 on an Amp & Source, should look at this combo. Rather stunning. Hifi is becoming a much easier place to get VFM from kit.

Have you had the chance to blind test it against anything?

alasrati

Novice Member
The point is the current PSU can't be that complicated, so a like for like replacement with a UK plug can easily be had at Maplins as I suggested.

Perhaps this isn't good enough for your requirements but perhaps CJROSS or someone else will benefit.

Mr Pig

Novice Member
The point is the current PSU can't be that complicated, so a like for like replacement with a UK plug can easily be had at Maplins as I suggested.

Yes, but I want a better one. What would be the point of spending money on one that was just the same?

CJROSS

Have you had the chance to blind test it against anything?

Nope tis a lot more strenous to blind test 2 CDP/DAC sources playing 2 CDs than 2 cables flicking between amp inputs IMHO playing the same tune. Trailer not sure I could tell this apart from the Sony CDP or Sony DVD I had it hooked up to. But one thing is for sure, it means I can hook up a USB PC, DVD player and DAB unit into a little single input amp I have bought (see pic) :smashin: Thanks for asking though :rotfl:

On the plug issue, if the plug is sat in a flat position the adaptor is fine. Not very big on PSUs changing the sound of DACs from experience, I bought a B-DAC TC7510 in the past with its original 12V PSU and an upgraded SMPS 13.5V PSU. Did not make any difference to my ears. The supplied unit sounds fine, but is wobbly in the UK 3 pin adaptor plug.

CJROSS

Anyway a quick check of the PSU plug tells me this is what I'd need to replace it with:

PSU, DESKTOP 24V 0.5A

If I was bothered and I am not - but others may like a tighter fit ooooh errr missus!, I have a cupboard full of euro pin to UK plug adaptors for going on holiday, will try a couple of those. Cant see me changing the supplied PSU though.

trailer

Novice Member
I thought it would be quite easy to blind test your Sony CD player against the DVD+DAC, or the DVD against the Sony CD+DAC, into the same amp? Just rip an extra CD. If you can't tell the difference between the CD and the DVD feeding it then that dismisses any transport differences I guess.
I'm just interested in how it sounds.

CJROSS

I thought it would be quite easy to blind test your Sony CD player against the DVD+DAC, or the DVD against the Sony CD+DAC, into the same amp? Just rip an extra CD. If you can't tell the difference between the CD and the DVD feeding it then that dismisses any transport differences I guess.
I'm just interested in how it sounds.

The back of the amp in question note single input, no remote control for input switching either ;). Cant say I notice any difference with the Toslink or Coaxial input fed from the 3000ES CDP or DVP-55 an ancient DVD player in the ES system and Diapasons.

Re. Blind test, I have done this in the past using a TAG DAC 20 with 2 anlg outputs into a RC Primare A30.1 II for anlg ICs/ digital cables & transports. Don't need to do any more TBH to realise where my hearing limitations end. Why dont you blind test something Trailer and report back?, I have done so in the past to have a frame of reference, maybe worth you doing so to :smashin:

Last edited:

trailer

Novice Member
As you know I prefer to do long term listening over a period of days/weeks to discern any differences if that is possible. I can then post an opinion on a piece of equipment if I choose to. I was hoping that since you have recommended a piece of equipment that you would be willing to provide a review on it's sound quality, rather than just it's functionality, ideally based on your choice of testing.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Sky announces huge original TV show and movie lineup for 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Cambridge Audio launches DacMagic 200M headphone amplifier
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
What's new on Disney+ UK for February 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett