Firestick v Apple Tv Qs

ScottC25

Hi All,

Recently bought an apple TV 4k in order to have access to my itunes library in our main room.

It has been explained to me, sort of, but looking for a real reason for something.

With the firestick, it switches from HD, to 4k HDR, to Dolby vision quite seemlessly with no real issues at all.

The apple TV needs 10 secs to do it every time, blank screen, no signal message, then the pic returns.

Also, when choosing the screen settings, if I try to select Dolby vision, it won't accept it, even though it will send Dolby Vision signals to the TV as the TV notifies you of the switch to Dolby vision.

Is there something I have got wrong in the set up installation that causes all this to happen?

Find it strange that Apple would launch and sell a product that operates in such a clunky fashion?

next010

Distinguished Member
Hi All,

Recently bought an apple TV 4k in order to have access to my itunes library in our main room.

It has been explained to me, sort of, but looking for a real reason for something.

With the firestick, it switches from HD, to 4k HDR, to Dolby vision quite seemlessly with no real issues at all.

The apple TV needs 10 secs to do it every time, blank screen, no signal message, then the pic returns.

Also, when choosing the screen settings, if I try to select Dolby vision, it won't accept it, even though it will send Dolby Vision signals to the TV as the TV notifies you of the switch to Dolby vision.

Is there something I have got wrong in the set up installation that causes all this to happen?

Find it strange that Apple would launch and sell a product that operates in such a clunky fashion?

The AppleTV out of the box, attempts force HDR on for everything even if source content is SDR/HDR10 and converts it into DV which by default will be 4K 60hz.

Your TV might have problems with DV 60hz at chroma 444

Set the output as follows
Format = 4K SDR 60hz
HDMI Output = Ycbcr
Chroma = 420
Match Content = range and frame rate both enabled

This should make the ATV switch to DV 24Hz output at 4K when it attempts to play a movie, hopefully your TV should be able to handle that.

ScottC25

Only setting above that I didn't have was the format one, mine was set to SDR 50hz for some reason.

The change does seem to have helped a bit.

Tv is an LG OLED 65B8PLA

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom