Firestick 4K Plex issues

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Hoping for some suggestions.

I have a 4K Firestick which has been pretty faultless in everything I’ve asked of it until now.

Plex is refusing to play media stored on our QNAP server - asking me to check the connection. There’s nothing wrong with the connection, all other streaming services work fine, Plex even manages to display all of the artwork and other metadata perfectly well - only the playback itself doesn’t work.

Plex works fine from other devices (iPads etc.)

I’ve restarted the Firestick (twice). Forced Plex to stop and restart. Uninstalled Plex from the Firestick and re-installed. Updated the QNAP operating system, and made sure Plex server-side is up to date.

I’ve just checked on my son‘s Firestick in his room, and it’s producing the same ‘An error has occurred while trying to play this media. Check your network connection and try again.’

So it’s definitely a Firestick thing.

I’ve run out of things to try, unless someone else has other suggestions - I’m all ears!

next010

Distinguished Member
N
Hoping for some suggestions.

So it’s definitely a Firestick thing.

I’ve run out of things to try, unless someone else has other suggestions - I’m all ears!

No idea, the Plex forums might offer more insight as the logs from the Plex server may tell you what's going on. One thing I can suggest for server is only use Plex server that is on QNAP app portal don't use latest version from Plex site or anywhere else.

As a temporary workaround get MrMC from the FireTV app store, it can connect to Plex servers, see if it works.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
N

No idea, the Plex forums might offer more insight as the logs from the Plex server may tell you what's going on. One thing I can suggest for server is only use Plex server that is on QNAP app portal don't use latest version from Plex site or anywhere else.

As a temporary workaround get MrMC from the FireTV app store, it can connect to Plex servers, see if it works.

Thanks - seems like I'm not the only one. There are various reports of Firestick versions of Plex having the same issue - at the moment, it seems the solution is to sideload an older version of Plex. I'll try it later when I'm less busy.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
@next010 and anyone else reading this with the same issue....

Problem solved. After loading up the Plex dashboard on the server, I noticed a highlighted icon at the top right - clicking on it displayed a message that an update was available, but that it had to be installed manually, so the App Centre hadn't automatically installed it. So basically, I wasn't running the most up to date server side software on the QNAP as I thought I was.

Did the manual install, and all is well once again! Thanks for your input! :smashin:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom