1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fireplace convection with Plasma/LCD

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by DarkKnight, May 4, 2005.

1. DarkKnight

DarkKnight

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Boys and Girls - I'm stuck.

I'll be moving home in a few months and planning for the AV set up in my main lounge.

This lounge is part of an extended part of the house which does not have any chimney. I was hoping to mount a fireplace on the wall to bring the room together and fulfil those glossy brochure dreams of a plasma TV mounted above a slick looking fireplace.

My choice of fire was originally flueless, where the fireplace is fitted with a catalytic convertor to so that no chimney is required. However, having discussed in detail in http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=201859 it doesn't look like the way to go. The heat projected from a wall mounted (non inset fireplace) could cause any future Plasma or LCD TV I buy to melt down!

I'm adamant that I want a wall mounted TV, so could anyone advise on their choice of fireplace ? :lease:

My preference is to have a Gas fire and given the wall I will be mounting on is an external wall, I could go for a balanced or a power flue.

I guess what I'm asking is would these Fireplace types be suitable ?

Thanks

Why is it that chimney based or electric fireplaces seem to be more Plasma friendly ?

2. Johnny Thunder

Johnny Thunder

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Dark, I can totally understand what you are saying.
    Have you ever thought of making the plasma the focal point
    of the room, rather than the fire?
    Not many people do it, but it looks superb.
    Give it a thought, before you go for the fire.

Johnny.