Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

fireplace and plasma - too high?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by taimur, Aug 9, 2003.

1. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm thinking of buying a fireplace along with a plasma. Does anyone who has a 42-43" plasma mounted above the fireplace think theirs is too high? It's just that most people who have wall mounted their plasmas but not above a fireplace seem to have them sited lower.

2. mikeq

mikeq

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My plasma is above my fireplace.

When I first put it up I thought it looked too high, but when sitting in the seat opposite it it is just perfect. I use a tilting wall bracket also.

Mike

3. RossC

RossC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    >>> I'm thinking of buying a fireplace along with a plasma. <<<

That's a new sort of bundled deal ;)

....guess it all depends on how far back you are, and how tall the fireplace is - too close and it'll seem to high. Best thing to do is to make up a full size paper template, stick it on the wall at the exact height the screen will be and sit and look at it from your proposed viewing position, and keep looking at it every now again over the course of a few days - does work.

4. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Good idea!...... and I'm not talking about the template.... I'm talking about the new bundle deal offer! :)

Having seen a few pictures on line of plasmas above fireplaces, I think it also depends on the height of the ceiling in the room, the height of the plasma and the height of the fireplace. I saw a picture of someone's plasma, the top of which was at the level of the curtain railing which looked a little too high.

5. DaveCheltenham

DaveCheltenham

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    I thought about it but the possibility of being "too warm" put me off.

6. Alan D

Alan D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anything too high will do your neck in after a while - you know, like when you are in the front row of the cinema. If it feels like you are tilting your head upwards then it's too high basically. Ideally the centre of the screen should be at your eyeline when your head is level (same as a well adjusted computer monitor on a desk)

7. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    It depends on the chair, if you're reclineing, its natural to look more upwards. If your lying down the best place for the screen would be on the ceiling. ;)

8. bluebear

bluebear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    taimur,
    I got a stovax "Living Fire" (gas Victorian Tiled cast iron insert) under my Panny D4.
    It is mounted about 50 inches from the floor, and we sit about 10 feet away from it.

I would say its looks brilliant, and the fire surround is about 4 inches away from the screen.

I had no complaints about it been too high from any of my friends, we don't get neck strain.

One day I will get round to posting a real picture of my setup here...

Regards,

Bluebear.
    :smashin:

Attached Files:

9. taimur

taimur
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it seems that people who have it above a fireplace love it, and those that don't, didn't do it because they didn't like the idea in the first place!