1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firehawk screens

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rdg, Apr 8, 2002.

1. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Has anybody seen a Stewart Firehawk screen? I am about to get an upper-end screen and wondered if all the hype was justified.
    I plan to stick with DLP, possibly a Sim2 later in the year, and would want a screen about 8-9 ft wide.

2. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  3. Paul Hayward

Paul Hayward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Hi rdg,

I havnt seen the Firehawk in person but people I trust who have say this is a fantastic match for the Sim2 HT300. There is an absolute trade off in peak white. But because of the gain, 1.35 I believe, this is minimised. Colours, blacks and three dimensionality are improved. However, you probably wont want to go much beyond 8ft unless you have 100% light control. With the latest software, the HT300 is noticeably brighter with better contrast and so going to 9ft is now much more doable. Hope this helps,

Best Wishes,

Paul H

4. rdg

rdg
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have looked at the AVS threads, but things do seem a bit excitable at times eg painting colour wheels, filters etc, and I wondered if anyone over here had compared the Firehawk with a good alternative.

5. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I havent seen a firehawk yet, but hope to get 1 in the future.

You will be amazed at the difference a good screen can make. Last week we did a demo with a Grey screen and a 1.5 gain screen with an HT300. The 2 pictures were like watching 2 different projectors.
    The Grey screen gave a good black level but total light output was reduced it also gave a blue appearance to white. Other colours looked awfull.
    The White looked better for all other colours but black level was terrible, very grey and washed out.
    It made me think......Time to try a firehawk, its surposed to be the best all round for DLP at moment.

6. pcavelle

pcavelle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Does anyone know which UK dealers sell Firehawks?

Thanks - Paul

7. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    I have one on order for a client. When my order was placed there were no Firehawks in UK...unless they had been privately imported. This is probably why you don't see many mentions of their quality over here...and why it's going to be hard to see one.

One of the things I am hoping to try and arrange for EVENT2 is screen dems. It's a very hard thing to organise though!

Gordon

8. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Any dealer that sells Stewart will be able to supply a Firehawk.

I dont know of any demonstrating them. I am also about to place an order for a customer. Will be interested to see before I commit myself:D

9. -Spike-

-Spike-

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    Well the Sim2 HT300 that I saw at Owl Video Systems was not projecting onto a Firehawk, they were using their own white Owl screen. The black level was far from grey and washed out.

I've not seen that many DLP's but this was, without doubt, the most impressive picture I have ever seen.

Steve

10. Kane D Williams

Kane D Williams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Gordon/Others

I read of one company in Japan (Yamaha I think) who use a Japanese made grey screen which has a similar gain to the Firehawk, to test their projectors. They claim it delivers the best results possible, better than the Firehawk! I can't remember the manufacturer, but it begain with a "K" and was a lot cheaper than a Firehawk! Do you know what the maunfacturer is?

Cheers Kane

11. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    No idea....VuTec do a grey screen to though called GREYDOVE.....I've used one of them with a clients VPL11. Looked nice. Not as good as greyhawk I think though.

Gordon

12. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Grey dove is OK for LCD but not DLP.

It's got good Black level, but otherwise nothing special.

Also Don't use a high gain screen with the HT 200 or 300 they look awfull 1.3 gain max. Firehawk is 1.35.

Wish I had a sample material for firehawk to see. I'm off to A&K tomorrow and will try to get some samples.

13. Paul Hayward

Paul Hayward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Hi Sharky,

I have to agree with Spikey, the HT300 projected blacks are not in any way grey and washed out and I'm using the dreaded Draper M2500 2.3 hi gain. However, the Firehawk will no doubt improve things further and should produce near inky blacks. Sharky, are you using the latest software version ie 2.05(015) latest? This improves the blacks significantly.

Best Wishes,

Paul H

14. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes Paul I am using the latest firmware. It came on the Projector.

When saying that the Black is washed out and grey I meant as a comparison to the grey screen. It really is that different...

I have a 1.3 gain Vutec screen and am very happy with the Black level that it produces. But I still wouldn't recommend using an HT300 on a 2.5 gain screen unless the room has ambient light or the screen size is very big, Just my opinion:)

BTW: I have just ordered my Firehawk and 1 for another customer. Now it's just a 6 week wait until we can really see is it worth the hype..:eek: and the price tag:eek:

15. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I just found this on the Stewart site.

http://www.stewartfilm.com/news_events/new_cool.htm

Look half way down on the left and wait for the picture to load. They will show the difference I am talking about.

The pic on the right looks good until you compare it to the pic on the left. That's the difference in black level i was refering to.

16. Paul Hayward

Paul Hayward

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +158
    Hallo Paul,

Thanks for your reply and the clarification. I see what you mean! You are absolutely right about the unbearably high light output from my screen. I was already finding films tiring to watch. When the pj was upgraded with the new software I noticed a sudden increase in tiredness and headache. At first I thought it was the dreaded 'DLP strain' effect. As an experiment, I reinstalled a cc30r filter (which lowers the overall brightness) and adjusted the colour balance. 'Bingo' the eye strain and headache was gone and the whole show was more relaxing to sit through. It has to be the blessed reduction in brightness. Those who clammer for super bright projectors are in for real 'retina frying' treat in my view!

By the way, do not recommend using filters with the HT300, after many many hours of tweaking I just could not beat out the factory pre-sets and the filter degrades overall clarity. But until I get my new screen, this will have to do. Please keep us informed of your impressions of the Firehawk. I will probably come and have demo when you get yours in as I do hanker after this bit of kit.

Best Wishes,

Paul H