Firefox using huge amounts of CPU?

Discussion in 'ISPs & The Internet' started by Jsnatch, Jun 21, 2015.

1. Jsnatch

Jsnatch

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +150
    So wonder if anybody else is having this issue, firefox using massive amounts of CPU, even just idle with just a basic page or even facebook?
    basically firefox is maxing its usage and going to a minimum of 50% cpu usage, which causes the browser to lockup/stop loading and only way to be able to use the browser is to close and re-open it (loosing whatever you are browsing)

Here are some forums ive checked

and ive done everything suggested:
    remove add ons etc,

What i have noticed is it seems to have been a problem with a few of the previous versions of firefox not just version 38.x so ive had to download chrome and import all my sh*t and start over...

(note chrome is using less than 1% CPU when in use)

Thanks in advance.
    Joe

2. Dodgy_Geezer

Dodgy_Geezer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +298
    When you are using Firefox and it starts maxing the CPU, check the process explorer to see which app is actually killing it. If it says plugin-container, then it's a plugin, most likely Flash if you have that installed. A couple of other things to try:

1. Start Firefox in safe mode with no plugins installed and see if it still maxes. If it doesn't, start in normal mode and disable all plugins and then add them back one by one until you find the offending one.

2. Delete your Firefox profile and create it again from scratch.

The thing with Chrome is that it is very memory hungry and will gobble up your RAM as it has a much larger memory footprint than Firefox. Not a problem if you have 4 gigs+ and it will feel faster but you could also try FasterFox or other variants. If you have 64 Bit Windows 7, my pick is Waterfox which blazes along and has been optimised.

Plus I hate all the Chrome snooping! SRWare ION is a Chrome replacement without the snoop.