Firefox/Thunderbird new version available

Geordie Jester said:
Firefox is a great browser. How did we live without tabs !?!

Totally agree - :thumbsup:

I luv tabs!!!

Dal

GaryB said:
Old extensions left over from very old versions of Firefox can cause all sorts of weird problems.
Previously, after just un-installing and re-installing Firefox only, the problems did return.

I have now fully un-installed and re-installed Firefox, extensions, themes etc and Firefox has been running problem free for a few days now.

Thanks for your help.

Since loading Firefox 1.0.7 my browsing appears to be slower, has anyone else noticed this ?

No

Except this site. But I've always found this forum to be a lot slower than others, inc those with media on them

JohnG said:
Since loading Firefox 1.0.7 my browsing appears to be slower, has anyone else noticed this ?

I didn't notice any slowdown when going from 1.0.6 to 1.0.7. If you've been using Firefox for a while and have gone through several versions, it may be worth trying the clearout process I outlined above.

Think of it as colonic irrigation for your browser!

Thanks, I'll give that a go as I've always just installed over the top of previous versions. I assume I won't lose my bookmarks ?

JohnG said:
I assume I won't lose my bookmarks ?
From my experience you don't lose the bookmarks but you could export them just to be on the safe side.

Bookmarks/Manage Bookmarks/File/Export

GaryB said:
Firefox 1.5 Release Candidate 1 is now available:

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/

Well, i've been using this for a couple of hours now and WOW it's fast!
Some of the site's in my bookmarks that were notoriously slow in loading are much, much quicker.
I like the options menu that's incorporated into the pop up blocker bar that shows you the site's name. Back and forward button response is almost instantaneous. I like it :thumbsup:

Must install that when I get home.

Another thing i've just noticed with it. If you check your emails while browsing, and one of your mails contains a link to some site, you can now click on that link and the previous site you were on will remain as a tab :smashin:

Unfortunately many Firefox extensions are not compatible with Firefox 1.5rc1. Roboform is one, and I also have 13 others that also aren't compatible, nor are there updates available for them.
I tried going back to 1.0.7 - what a b*lls up I was left with! A jumbled up screen which didn't work. I'm back on 1.5rc1 for the moment and hoping that a suitable adapter for Roboform will soon be available.

Steve Zodiac said:
Unfortunately many Firefox extensions are not compatible with Firefox 1.5rc1. Roboform is one, and I also have 13 others that also aren't compatible, nor are there updates available for them.
I tried going back to 1.0.7 - what a b*lls up I was left with! A jumbled up screen which didn't work. I'm back on 1.5rc1 for the moment and hoping that a suitable adapter for Roboform will soon be available.
Steve, as this is the test version, i'd recommend emailing them as they are looking for feedback regarding bugs and compatibility issues.

bowenjones said:
Steve, as this is the test version, i'd recommend emailing them as they are looking for feedback regarding bugs and compatibility issues.
Regarding Firefox 1.5rc1 and taken from their website:

"If you find that your favorite Extension or Theme has not been updated to be compatible with this release of Firefox, write the author and encourage them to update it."

I have contacted Roboform via e-mail and hopefully an update will be available soon.

I have now created an account with Bugzilla and when I receive an e-mailed password from them, I'll log in and report the problem that I encountered whilst trying to revert back to version 1.0.7.

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firefox/ there it is and from somewhere else here is the changes.

overall its with the update i guess :)

* Changes in 1.5 RC1:Automated update to streamline product upgrades. Notification of an update is more prominent, and updates to Firefox may now be half a megabyte or smaller. Updating extensions has also improved.
* Faster browser navigation with improvements to back and forward button performance.
* Drag and drop reordering for browser tabs.
* Improvements to popup blocking.
* Clear Private Data feature provides an easy way to quickly remove personal data through a menu item or keyboard shortcut.
* Answers.com is added to the search engine list.
* Improvements to product usability including descriptive error pages, redesigned options menu, RSS discovery, and "Safe Mode" experience.
* Better accessibility including support for DHTML accessibility and assistive technologies such as the Window-Eyes 5.5 beta screen reader for Microsoft Windows. Screen readers read aloud all available information in applications and documents or show the information on a Braille display, enabling blind and visually impaired users to use equivalent software functionality as their sighted peers.
* Report a broken Web site wizard to report Web sites that are not working in Firefox.
* Better support for Mac OS X (10.2 and greater) including profile migration from Safari and Mac Internet Explorer.
* New support for Web Standards including SVG, CSS 2 and CSS 3, and JavaScript 1.6.
* Many security enhancements.
* List of notable bug fixes since Firefox 1.5 Beta 2

I updated last night, and downloaded a few new themes while I was at it..
Some of the new features are very nice indeed, particularly the new tab behaviour..

Aquatint 1.5.4 is fantastic looking. :)

[Mod comment - merged 2 threads]

The new auto tab when clicking email sites, simple and useful. Why has no one done it before.

Only hickup so far is Nat West on-line worked with 1.07 but doesn't recognise this.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom