• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Firefox Problems

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I seem to having several problems with Firefox in the last few days.

Around 10.30pm (no idea why) sites like facebook and google.com don't work. They start working again later on. It hangs on contacting website

I cannot get file explorer screens to appear. For instance the "save image as" won't bring up the file explorer. I cannot browse to a pic on my pc when attaching them to posts in the TalkTalk forums using a browse button.

I cannot get FF to allow me to choose where to save files. If I want to choose a download folder in the options, I cannot get the file explorer to appear.

I have tried the following.

Disabled anything that might want to update automatically - Quicktime, Java.
Gone back from FF 28 to FF 27.01.
Disabled Add Ons
Updated Add Ons.
Removed my settings and started FF from scratch.
Reset Firefox
Ran Malware softwares, nothing found.

In the last week, I have updated Quicktime, Java, Flash all before I noticed the problems.

I have XP on this machine, and thought the recently installed Panda AV due to uninstalling MSE had caused me problems so have Avast on now.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Does the Open File dialogue box in Firefox (in the file menu) also not work? That presumably doesn't depend on anything on the webpage rendering side.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Doesn't work. File Browser seems to have got broken.

I created a new profile and still the same problem.

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Presumably it works in other programs though?

It might be worth removing add ons. I'm not familiar with the internals of Firefox but I wouldn't assume 'Disabled' means that the add-on has no influence.

Yes. I have to copy the link into Chrome to get around the problem.

Add ons make no difference as it does it with no add ons installed.

sparky10

Prominent Member
Hi, I use firefox all of the time, this latest update is (V.28.0) is not as good as the previous one, a tad slower in my view. I noticed in your thread that you downloaded the previous version and still had the issue. I also see that you disabled the add ons, this with no luck. How did you disable the add ons? Did you do this from the add ons tab in the start menu or did you select 'restart f/fox with add on disabled'? Not sure if that will make a difference or not though. Have you cleared the cookie cache, this may help, I guess that you know how to do this but just in case select options/network/cached web content and hit clear. One other thing you can take a look at is Firefox health report, this from menu/help/Firefox health report, this action will lead you to the trouble shooter and could help here. It will start off with a graph of your F/fox performance and then say 'learn more', could be helpful there. Hope that this may be of use to you.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I have done the following -

Cleared cache, cache etc by ccleaner and by using FF
Disabled and the removed add ons through the extensions manager screen
Disabled add ons via a safe restart
Created a new profile
Reinstalled, deleted FF folder and reinstalled both v28 and v27.01

I got the problem after using v28 since it came out.

sparky10

Prominent Member
Well covered then! Could check the health report though. It is strange that you say that you have had the problem since v28 released (March 18th). I have had 3 bsod`s since then and my system is normally rock steady. To analyse it I thought back to downloads and there have been 3 in my case, the first was F/fox v28 and then the Windows updates and then my version (paid) of Malwarebytes was upgraded to the premium version, hmmm! In my case I have removed malwarebytes for now and touch wood okay? The issue for you could it not be something along the lines of an update, even Windows, could restore back in time and see if it makes a difference?

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I have only had the problem for a few days. I installed v28 when it came out.

I do have the free version of Malware Bytes. I upgraded to v2.0 today.

Health report doesn't show anything that might be useful.

I am still on XP so windows updates haven't been done for a long time.

I just tried again to uninstall (using Revo Uninstaller) and reinstall and still the same

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I remember that I upgraded QuickTime recently so uninstalled it and no effect.

It won't allow me to change the download folder as nothing happens when I click on browse same as open file.

I wonder if Facebook will also stop connecting at around 10.30-11.00pm again.

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I haven't saved any restore points since Windows 98. It hasn't affected any other programs.

Bugger, save link as does not work either. I tried to download a movie trailer.

sparky10

Prominent Member
Interesting to see if it is a time related thing or is that a coincidence, that surely cannot be right. I take it that the problem does not occur in IE or other browsers?

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
The thing about the file browser is all the time, the FB issue is something else which started a couple of days before.

Hmmm, the browse option is also not working in a firefox addon options.

Other browsers are not affected.

sparky10

Prominent Member
I would do as you did before and remove all traces of F/fox completely and check directories and folders to make sure that there are no archive files or folders there at all, then switch off computer completely and then restart and reinstall F/fox after this cold start, might make a difference. If after all of that the problem is still there then create an exception in your anti virus system.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I have done that two times now. I have Avast AV free and Online Armor firewall on.

Is there anything in about:config that deals with the file browser ?

Facebook seem ok atm.

For a temporary workaround. Is there an add on to download a link by double cliking or right mouse menu ? I found one for pictures but could do one that works with all file types.

Last edited:

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
The "attach a photo" button in facebook is also not working so it does seem the file browser is broken. I get an hour glass for a few seconds but that's it.

sparky10

Prominent Member
Hi, sorry for the late reply, whatever the issue is at this point in time I personally would do a clean install. I can only guess that it is a file error thing with F/fox. There is a F/fox forum that may be able to help or come up with something that we have not thought of, could be worth getting some input from those guys. Again if all else fails I would do a clean install, but obviously back up your important stuff. I am thinking that if you do a clean install there will still be the updates available to date. My last thought on this is that as you know most systems invariably need a good clean install from time to time. However I put the link in below for the F/fox forum, never know what you may turn up, will however keep looking for the solution.
Firefox Support • mozillaZine Forums

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I am afraid there is no way I am going to do a clean install just for this. It would take days to get everything back. I can just use Chrome for any sites that I need it.

My copy of XP is from when it first came out pre service pack 2. That is a lot of updates.

I'll keep looking for the answer.

sparky10

Prominent Member
I just wonder since most avenues have been looked at, whether if you do nothing the problem will vanish. It seems that the more that I search through including FB help section, there are ongoing issues they they know about, some are routine service issues and web updates, but the point is before having to consider a clean install, then do nothing for now and use a different browser for the time being (it may fix itself!), what do you reckon?

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom