Firefox installed then..

KoThreads

Prominent Member
Reaction score
After reading so many posts about Firefox I decided to leave IE6.

I've enabled all the pop up windows I've needed and done everything they have said to get pages going, except one, the EBuyer web site, which I use a lot for work, keeps telling me my browser is not supported. It then lists Mozilla as an option to use!

I'd like to keep it, because of the brilliant tabs feature, but don't want to keep loading IE6 just for Ebuyers site.

Any help grateful.

It works for me.

Chips

I've a funny feeling you won't be the only one whose gonna say that.

:mad:

It's fine on my office machine as well.

works for me too. One problem I have at home though is I have a prepaid dial up account. I get disconnected after an hour and firefox doesn't like this. It won't browse afterwards, just immediately says 'done'. I have to close down all open ff windows and open new ones and it is fine again.

:( This is weird.

I downloaded it again, reinstalled, same thing.

EBuyer.com just doesn't want to know the browser (V 1.0)

I'm on broadband and only shut the connection off between midnight and 8 a.m. so it's not a disconnect problem.

I'm running pccillin IS2 spybot s&d, spyware blaster and check adawarese, all updated, every day so it's not a virus or spy based problem. messengers disabled as well, so I'm lost.

Thanks for all the input guys (or girls)

Odd. Are you sure it is not something like cookies being blocked ??

Also you will find that the odd thing does not work with Firefox as it is coded badly. You should download the view in IE extenstion (can't remember exactly what it is called but you should be able to find it)

THis means if you do have a problem with a page, you can simply right click and select open in IE

Well, lets try figure this out.

When your browser connects to a site it sends some miscellaneous information, one of these titbits is the "user agent" string. This tells the site which browser you are using, and the site can adjust accordingly or just use this info for statisctics.

Internet Explorer should identify itself as Mosaic Compatable, and Firefox will identify itself as Firefox (boring, innit?)

Anyway, to check firefox's user agent string, in the url bar typ ein "about:config" (without the quotes)

Loads of user parameters should be shown, in the "filter" box type in "agent" and it will filter the list to show only thos containing the word "agent". You will see a user agent string listed, and it should show firefox as the identifier. Dont change it..please...firefox wont start properly if you change it, but if you confirm it shows firefox with a version number of 1.0 above it then that is one step clarified.

Ok, assuming it shows firefox, then I am going to go for a wild guess....spybot or one of the other programs must have a paranoid setting that blocks the user agent string...see if there is a setting probably worded like "protect my internet info from websites" or anything similar like that and turn it off.

Hope this helps....

Werner

Cheers, never knew all that gubbins even existed.

5 entries inc.

Chrome....
en-GB
U
Firefox

After yet another uninstall install I now get bits of the page showing, it then locks, then says Browser not supported, try etc. etc,

This is a problem I will now spend time on trying to track down why it's happening AS IT'S REALLY P****** ME OFF BIG TIME.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom