• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Firefox Import Bookmarks problem

Giraffe76

Established Member
Im trying to import my bookmarks using the .JSON file extension but the file ive saved my bookmarks as doesnt have a file extension and im getting an error message saying unsupported file type.

Help!

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
...doesn't have a file extension...
Have you unticked "hide extensions for known file types" in folder options?

But we are not quite right here if its FF 3.6 in question.

.json files are backup files used with the restore function.

.html are the bookmark files used with the import function.

Select the restore function for your .json file instead of import.

Or maybe you can you just export your bookmarks to a .html file which is the easiest way to save a copy.

If this does not work for you, drag and drop your file into the Firefox browser. This should display your bookmarks as a page of links. If it does not, the file is either broken or something different so then we are stuffed.

If the file is ok, untick hide extensions for known file types and rename your file giving it a .html extension.

Then use the import function.

Last edited:

Giraffe76

Established Member
Sorry i havent come back to you until now, ive been unable to get on the net, plus ive been on holiday.
I did untick the option you mentioned in folder options, this was after i renamed the file extension of the saved file to a .html bookmarks file but it still hasnt worked.
I tried the import option and the restore option but neither got my bookmarks back. I can import my wifes saved bookmarks but mine seem very elusive.

I was able to drag and drop the file into a firefox browser but it didnt bring up any links that could click on, just links i would have to cut and paste, is this what you meant?

Hope this makes sense..

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
I was able to drag and drop the file into a firefox browser but it didnt bring up any links that could click on, just links i would have to cut and paste, is this what you meant?

That's OK, we are just confirming there is good data in the file.

Close Firefox. Now set the folder options to show extensions for known file types and change the extension from .JSON to .html.

You should now be able to select that file from the import function within Firefox.

Giraffe76

Established Member
Thanks for letting me know about that, i tried what you said but it still diidnt work. After choosing the file it takes me back to the bookmarks list and nothing happens and i can see any new bookmarks.

Would there be a problem if ive upgraded my version of firefox to version 4 and my bookmarks have been saved in a previous version?

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Upgrades are usually backwards compatible but you may need to read up to be sure.

I cannot figure why the imports fails :confused:

.html-We are doing it through toolbar/bookmarks/organise bookmarks/import & backup/import HTML?

.JSON-..and the restore does not work toolbar/bookmarks/organise bookmarks/import & backup/restore/choose file?

I am starting to think the file or application are corrupt.

edit: the imported bookmarks will be in a folder called "From Internet Explorer" under the Bookmarks tab on the menu bar.

Last edited:

Giraffe76

Established Member
What i have noticed if its of any worthwhile note is that i can open my bookmarks in notepad and they appear as written links and not nothing i can click on, if that makes any sense.

With the html files ive tried what you've suggested but it didnt solve the problem, as well as json solution.

Ive also tried to import the same html file with internet explorer but it still didnt work.

hyperfish

Distinguished Member
Can you try creating a few random bookmarks and exporting to .html.

Then import that file.

This will verify if the Firefox application is at fault.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom