1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefly and Witchblade.

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Garrett, May 8, 2003.

1. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    Don’t forget that they are showing the very first Witchblade tonight at 8 and Firefly is on, on Monday at 8 with 2 episodes on the Sci-Fi channel.
    You would have thought that the Sci-Fi channel would have put them on at better times that conflicting with Angel and Buffy tonight and Enterprise on Monday. Although those can be seem as repeats on other days.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

I think the fact that Sci-Fi are showing these series, (and Stephen King's "THE STAND" as well) on at least three times each week shows that they realise it may clash with other Cult TV series. This way, they get to give the viewers more of an opportunity to view/tape the show, when it's best for them, and not make us be forced to choose between two shows people love.

Let's hope that "Firefly" is as good as "Buffy". Joss Whedon's scripts should be interesting, as long as people don't expect things to be nice-and-easy. This is sci-fi for the intelligentsia!

Pooch

3. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    Does any one know if The Witchblade gets any better?
    I could not get in to it as it made no sense as the pilot was shown for the first time last night on the Sci-Fi channel and I was wondering who all the characters were and gave up on it after a couple of episodes the last time it was shown..

4. Luc

Luc
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Oh don't worry, it is. Of the 13 episodes i've seen, i can't think of a duffer among them. I loved it all and can't wait to see the 3 unaired episodes.

5. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    I've seen the unaired ep.s of Firefly and they are akin to the rest;)

Garrett, I really liked the first series of Witchblade and would suggest sticking with it. Series 2 was a bit of a rehash of one with less top episodes and it was spoilt by Nottingham having talkie moments. Though ultimately the bird got to me with her Janeway-like voice.

6. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    Who Yancy Butler? for some reason I do not find her attractive at all.

7. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +379
    THat's her Garrett. The more you watch I gaurentee you'll find her voice arching toward Janeway with all that mememememweewweewwee - arghhhhhhhhh.
    But aside from her there are some top ep.s with Nottingham doing some cool stuff. I wonder if it's edited on sci fi?
    And have to agree she does nothing for me either. Few birds in it either of consequence, apart for the Lucretia Borgia piece in series 2. She was money and has money;)

8. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    Is Firefly worth watching? Obviously this is subjective so is it more akin to Star Trek, Farscape or what?

9. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Hi,

I rewatched the "Witchblade" pilot movie last night on Sci-Fi, and actually enjoyed it far more second time around, then when I originally saw it on Sky Moviemax 3.

The show is a bit of a mess at times, but the first season, (on the whole), is generally very good, if you enjoy pulp sci-fi. Yancy Butler is reasonably talented, and certainly plays the flawed character well, although that's probably more down to her being such a flawed person in real-life than any part of her acting ability. (Season 2 was the last one to be made, due to her alcoholism problem!)

"Firefly", for those who don't already know, is Joss Whedon's latest US drama series. It's essentially a space-western, rather than an outright science-fiction series, or a sci-fi/horror drama. The two-part pilot episode ("Serenity" Parts 1 and 2) which Sci-Fi are airing at 8:00-10:00pm on Monday 12th May, is the best place to start as it introduces most of the characters and situations.

In the US, they were not treated to the Pilot Episode, until the final two episodes aired, and the series as a whole was shown radically out of order. As such, characters appeared and disappeared, at random times, and the whole thing sunk very very quickly. Admittedly, I don't believe 20th Century Fox wanted the show to succeed. I think they wanted a more straightforward, Star-Trek-style series, but from the creator of "Buffy" and "Angel". Instead, they got something more anarchic and intelligent, ala "Babylon 5" - i.e. a sci-fi novel, where viewers needed at least an ounce of brain-power to follow the show. So don't go expecting an easy viewing experience!

Having not seen any of "Firefly" yet, it will be interesting, especially that the UK Sci-Fi Channel is going to be airing ALL episodes from the series, including the missing 3 that Fox never aired in the USA. Plus, they have rejigged the episode order, so we get to see them in the way Joss Whedon originally intended, thus preserving all of the story continuity and character development!

If it does fail, it will certainly be one of the most interesting "failed" TV shows in recent years. Sadly, as far as I know, the series will not be renewed for a second series. Why is it that so many interesting cult TV shows, have all been cancelled after just one series? Is it that US TV executives don't like intelligent sci-fi shows, or what?!

Pooch

P.S. "The Stand" (that was originally supposed to air on the same night) has now been pushed back a couple of weeks. The show will now start on Friday 23rd May, with a repeat on Sunday 25th, before settling into its original Monday (26th May, with a weekly Friday or Sunday night repeat) timeslot. Don't forget, it will be shown in eight 1-hour-long episodes, rather than the usual four 2-hour-long episodes! This should make it less of a gruel to watch, bearing in mind the sheer length of it!

10. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    Just a reminder not to forget Firefly tonight.

11. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    I thought I would let you know Pooch I stuck with Witchblade and once you get into it I found it very compelling. It is a shame they cut it short due to the alcohol problem. I cannot see it being shown on terrestrial not unless the do it very late at night.

12. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,560
    And as you've resurrected this thread Garrett I'll just thank you for your initial post. Without it I wouldn't have tuned into Firefly - a series which I'm enjoying quite a bit.

13. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,156
    :blush: Glad you are liking it.:smashin: