Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen - best streamer for the price ?

Yeah I see that mate, at least we know the BBC are not blocking anything (because the uhd trial shows) personally I would try a HLG file outside of iplayer, if HLG still doesn’t engage then it’s likely to be a cube issue. You can get one from here:-

For further confirmation you could probably try it direct on the a90j

If it is working then the problem is the app, has anyone confirmed it working previously? If so then perhaps try to source that apk and sideload?

Cheers
Norway & Mauritius HDR HLG 4K UHD 10bit demo (YouTube App on the Cube)

1631907524407.png

In the words of Ann Robinson... iPlayer - You are the Weakest Link!! :laugh:

Yeah don't get me wrong - the 1080p picture is much better than the normal iPlayer 720 stream, but it is a long way off the picture quality on the true UHD stream.

But generally I think it is a bit misleading for the BBC to advertise UHD/HDR device support when they know full well (and have known for some time) that it doesn't work.

Yeah don't get me wrong - the 1080p picture is much better than the normal iPlayer 720 stream, but it is a long way off the picture quality on the true UHD stream.

But generally I think it is a bit misleading for the BBC to advertise UHD/HDR device support when they know full well (and have known for some time) that it doesn't work.

Agree mate, I touched on this before, to get on that list the device only needs to have the hardware to decode the format and support dvb-dash for the DRM. There is a multitude of products listed which cannot showcase the format as intended, It's really confusing for customers, I think they would be better categorizing or adding a filter to the top so folk could see exactly what each device can do.

looks that way doesn't it!

Fingers crossed iplayer gets added to Sony Select in the next firmware drop
Well, I'm sure between Amazon & the BBC it can't be that hard to work out and fix...!!

It's almost like everything is getting through, but the HLG data?

Now, just recently my TV has suddenly appeared on the list of compatible devices supported for iPlayer (Sony A90J via YouView). So us A90J owners still have hope that once we get a software update pushed and the UK Catchup Apps suddenly appear for our sets then with any luck we may have the HLG UHD format in all its glory via that route. Fingers Crossed.

I’ve put the Cube back in my main system and after five days going well. No handshake issues this time and it’s nice to get a visualisation of timers etc… on the screen.

I never thought the 4K stick was that slow so the increase in snappiness is only a minor plus point for me.

Just wish they’d sort out UHD on iPlayer which is only going to get more and more important with a World Cup only a year away. Still need Roku for that and I’m waiting to watch that submarine show when it’s all available.

I’ve put the Cube back in my main system and after five days going well. No handshake issues this time and it’s nice to get a visualisation of timers etc… on the screen.

I never thought the 4K stick was that slow so the increase in snappiness is only a minor plus point for me.

Just wish they’d sort out UHD on iPlayer which is only going to get more and more important with a World Cup only a year away. Still need Roku for that and I’m waiting to watch that submarine show when it’s all available.
Yeah, it's a bit frustrating isn't it. Surely something that between Amazon & the BBC they can sort out in a matter of minutes.??

Yep, remember them showing games at the last WC in UHD but at that time it lacked the HDR aspect of the hi-res content, so would be nice to be able to access it either via my Cube or my A90J by next year.

Yep, remember them showing games at the last WC in UHD but at that time it lacked the HDR aspect of the hi-res content, so would be nice to be able to access it either via my Cube or my A90J by next year.

the euros this year were in UHD with HLG HDR - device permitting of course.

the euros this year were in UHD with HLG HDR - device permitting of course.
Indeed, unfortunately though, at that time, I had to resort to watching some of those matches on a 43" LG LED 4K TV to enjoy that full content :(

ITV Hub really needs to start getting their act together in that dept too...

ITV Hub really needs to start getting their act together in that dept too...

i can't see ITV being interested in providing UHD content, but if they did it would almost certainly be behind a paywall. they deem HD to be subscription only (other than for their channel 3 licence), so UHD wouldn't be any different.

they continually say that ITV2,3,4 HD would not exist if it wasn't for subscription income.

Like ITV don't bring in enough money via subs and advertising.

They should drop ITV4 and spend that money on an ITV UHD channel instead.

Like ITV don't bring in enough money via subs and advertising.

They should drop ITV4 and spend that money on an ITV UHD channel instead.

i'm sure the viewers of ITV4 would argue against that.

you also have to remember that if the source content isn't UHD then having a UHD channel is pointless. UDH production still costs much more than HD production.

Big disappointment tonight. Watching Sysiphus on Netflix and was getting dropouts back to the show’s landing page every few minutes. Switched over to the AppleTV and no problems, other than the audio was an inferior stereo to the Cube’s DD+.

Im wired on the Cube and wireless on the ATV.

Big disappointment tonight. Watching Sysiphus on Netflix and was getting dropouts back to the show’s landing page every few minutes. Switched over to the AppleTV and no problems, other than the audio was an inferior stereo to the Cube’s DD+.

Im wired on the Cube and wireless on the ATV.
:(

I use wireless on my Cube, but it is only 1 meter from the UniFi NanoHD Access Point in my office.
Thus far after 2 weeks of ownership, it hasn't dropped out once, whether that be from a mainstream app like Netflix/Prime/D+ or streaming via a sideloaded App like TiviMate.

I have even put my Cube to sleep and it still records scheduled programs over WiFi, set in the future, via TiviMate to an attached USB flash drive without issue.

:(

I use wireless on my Cube, but it is only 1 meter from the UniFi NanoHD Access Point in my office.
Thus far after 2 weeks of ownership, it hasn't dropped out once, whether that be from a mainstream app like Netflix/Prime/D+ or streaming via a sideloaded App like TiviMate.

I have even put my Cube to sleep and it still records scheduled programs over WiFi, set in the future, via TiviMate to an attached USB flash drive without issue.

I messaged Amazon and they say the odd behaviour is since I have an update pending. So I updated this morning and will see tonight if that is true.

I messaged Amazon and they say the odd behaviour is since I have an update pending. So I updated this morning and will see tonight if that is true.
Yeah, I had an update to apply last night and installed it, however, I had to go in and ask it to check for updates first as I had no notification of one being available to download and install??

Did the update make a difference? The Cube I has regularly does this on Netflix (and YouTube and Prime). A hard reset normally fixes it for a while.

Switched to an apple tv now as was getting too annoying.

Did the update make a difference? The Cube I has regularly does this on Netflix (and YouTube and Prime). A hard reset normally fixes it for a while.

Switched to an apple tv now as was getting too annoying.
It did make a difference in as much as I am now getting an error code. Before it was just going back to the show's home page, but now I am getting the message "cannot connect to Netflix at this time please try again later".

I remember now, this was one of the reasons I initially took the Cube out of my system. No such problems with the 4K stick. I'll persevere for a bit longer but will ditch again if it continues.

Sadly I’m having to take the Cube out due to the aforementioned dropouts and put the 4K stick back in. So that will leave me with the 4K stick for Amazon/YouTube, Roku Express 4K for UHD on IPlayer and AppleTV 4K for most everything else. Big shame really and I’ll try again in six months to see if it’s improved.

Sadly I’m having to take the Cube out due to the aforementioned dropouts and put the 4K stick back in. So that will leave me with the 4K stick for Amazon/YouTube, Roku Express 4K for UHD on IPlayer and AppleTV 4K for most everything else. Big shame really and I’ll try again in six months to see if it’s improved.
That's a shame as I haven't experienced a single dropout yet from mine? Can't remember, but have you tried using a different HDMI cable, maybe a hi-res certified one?

That's quite the cocktail of media streamers you have there.. Got pretty much all angles covered though..!! :laugh:

That's a shame as I haven't experienced a single dropout yet from mine? Can't remember, but have you tried using a different HDMI cable, maybe a hi-res certified one?

That's quite the cocktail of media streamers you have there.. Got pretty much all angles covered though..!! :laugh:
In the context of what you pay for amps, speakers and display device these streamers cost peanuts percentage wise so I do like to have all bases covered. That Google TV device has been in a drawer since I bought it week one :facepalm:

Yes I’m HDMI certified throughout and with all the different combinations of kit no device is likely to work perfectly with all. I’ve had bad audio sync problems with the ATV 4K in the past which you often will read from others, but as far as I can tell the larger majority have no issue. That’s the nature of the beast and frustrating for those that do despite the incredulity of those that don’t.

So is it 100% that 4K still isn’t working on the Cube 2nd Gen when it comes to iPlayer?

So is it 100% that 4K still isn’t working on the Cube 2nd Gen when it comes to iPlayer?
Nope, the 2nd Gen Cube plays iPlayer UHD content ok... just doesn't play it in HLG form.

I picked up a cube last week in the sale so I can have Atmos sound on Netflix etc and to date the sound is fine. however I am having an issue with the cube not keeping the display resolution I select when its brought out of standby. If I leave resolution as auto then it defaults to 1080p which I understand is something to do with my C6 only displaying Dolby Vision at 2160 30hz??? So I set the cube to 2160 60hz (I lose the DV but I still get HDR which I prefer anyway) and all is fine unless the Cube is left idle for a couple of days then when I go back it has defaulted back to 1080p.
It is driving me nuts as aside from this issue I am pleased with it. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I have googled it and the only thing I can find is fiddling with the developer mode and re setting something which I don't feel comfortable doing?

Thanks in advance for any advice

I picked up a cube last week in the sale so I can have Atmos sound on Netflix etc and to date the sound is fine. however I am having an issue with the cube not keeping the display resolution I select when its brought out of standby. If I leave resolution as auto then it defaults to 1080p which I understand is something to do with my C6 only displaying Dolby Vision at 2160 30hz??? So I set the cube to 2160 60hz (I lose the DV but I still get HDR which I prefer anyway) and all is fine unless the Cube is left idle for a couple of days then when I go back it has defaulted back to 1080p.
It is driving me nuts as aside from this issue I am pleased with it. Does anyone have any suggestions ? I have googled it and the only thing I can find is fiddling with the developer mode and re setting something which I don't feel comfortable doing?

Thanks in advance for any advice
Never seen that issue with my A90J?

Here are my display settings which always default to Native 4K when set on Auto. Is there a HDMI setting on the TV that might need adjusting which may affect the way the Cube behaves?
1638285652139.png

Maybe run the diagnostics... should look like below.

1638285726677.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom