fire stick to AVR to splitter to projector.. to how?!?

davidaa

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a pioneer lx 59 and Sony 4k projector along with a fire stick 4k. But haven't been able to stream 4k because of he utterly pointless hccp 2 silliness. I can stream 4k fine using Plex. But this is really frustrating. I tried sticking the projector output to the splitter that connects to the projector, but I am getting a "computer says no" response complaining about HDCP 2.2..

I am using this splitter, which seems like a decent one.
Amazon product ASIN B07X3H1RDZ
Help would be much appreciated.

Hello I have a pioneer lx 59 and Sony 4k projector along with a fire stick 4k. But haven't been able to stream 4k because of he utterly pointless hccp 2 silliness. I can stream 4k fine using Plex. But this is really frustrating. I tried sticking the projector output to the splitter that connects to the projector, but I am getting a "computer says no" response complaining about HDCP 2.2..

I am using this splitter, which seems like a decent one.
Amazon product ASIN B07X3H1RDZ
Help would be much appreciated.

Assuming you will be using the projector or the TV but not both at the same time you need a 4K switch. A splitter will only work when connected to devices with identical resolution and audio capability.

This one has 5 inputs and one output. You only need two but will add some future proofing.

Amazon product ASIN B08F7MJ13G

Assuming you will be using the projector or the TV but not both at the same time you need a 4K switch. A splitter will only work when connected to devices with identical resolution and audio capability.

This one has 5 inputs and one output. You only need two but will add some future proofing.

Amazon product ASIN B08F7MJ13G
I don't have a TV. Just a projector. So only one output. That does look good though. Thank you.

Do you mean you have the SC-LX59 AVR? If that's the correct AVR then you should have no HDCP problems.

Do you mean you have the SC-LX59 AVR? If that's the correct AVR then you should have no HDCP problems.
I do, but I think the problems are coming from the projector VPL-VW500ES. But it works a treat when using Plex, no 4k problems

What device are you running Plex on?

So if you only have the firestick, AVR and projector then why use a splitter? Your chain should simply be the firestick plugged into one of the HDMI in ports on the AVR and then your projector plugged into the main HDMI Out on the AVR. Your projector does not have 'outputs' as it is simply a monitor so only has HDMI inputs to receive a feed.

Because I don't get 4k from the fire stick that way. Just 1080HD. I can somehow still watch 4k stuff from Plex.. So odd and very annoying.

Doesn’t sound like HDCP. What source on the fire stick is it that you don’t get 4K from as it obviously can supply 4K as it is with plex.

Because I don't get 4k from the fire stick that way. Just 1080HD. I can somehow still watch 4k stuff from Plex.. So odd and very annoying.
I would remove the splitter (most of them don't support DD+ anyway which is the main firestick audio codec) and as a test plug the firestick straight into the projector. Obviously there will be no sound but as long as the firestick is on auto resolution then it should display a 4k resolution. If you get a glorious 4k image then you need to make sure that your AVR is configured correctly and your HDMI cable from the AVR to the projector is 4K compliant and that the quality of the cable is suitable for the length required.

Didn’t you get an answer here:

just a costly one unfortunately.

Well there you have it. MaryWhitehouse has kindly found the exact answer for you.
Your projector will never be able to display a protected 4K stream. Plex may well be looking like the stream is 4K and indeed report that the media being streamed is 4K but I would be confident in saying the actual pixel resolution synced with the projector is 1080p. The projector can tell you what pixel resolution it is displaying.

Tried that. No cookie. I think the projector is the problem. I think it's hdcp 1.4 or something. It's all confusing nonsense.

It’s not confusing at all. However you seem to be talking about two different projectors and a blu ray in the other thread. So I’ll ask again what source on the Firestick is allowing 4K playback? Plex is possibly irrelevant as it suggests material that isn’t copy protected.

It’s not confusing at all. However you seem to be talking about two different projectors and a blu ray in the other thread. So I’ll ask again what source on the Firestick is allowing 4K playback? Plex is possibly irrelevant as it suggests material that isn’t copy protected.
I see so it must be about the material. That's why I can play youtube videos at 4k. I am not about to watch any 4k except for youtube and from Plex. There must be ways that don't cost £300 to get around this.. I hope.. So frustrating.

I see so it must be about the material. That's why I can play youtube videos at 4k. I am not about to watch any 4k except for youtube and from Plex. There must be ways that don't cost £300 to get around this.. I hope..

Ok. So from the firestick Plex and YouTube play 4K but Prime and Netflix don’t. Both those apps only play HD? How do you know? Does the projector show you the different resolution?

Ok. So from the firestick Plex and YouTube play 4K but Prime and Netflix don’t. Both those apps only play HD? How do you know? Does the projector show you the different resolution?
Amazon tells me it won't play the 4k because of hdcp 2.2. Plex plays at the original quality, which is 4k and youtube I can change the quality to 4k.

Would have been helpful if you’d said you knew what the problem was first. In that case pay attention to the first answer you got. To play copyright material at 4K you’ll need something like what was offered on the other thread or a new projector.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom