Fire Stick / Harmony Elite setup and lipsync

Roohster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a Fire Stick 4k on its way and thought I'd set up my remote in advance using the phone app... but when I tried, it said "can't add to infra red remote".

Do I need to wait 'til it arrives and pair it or is there another way to set it up beforehand?

(edit to add...)
I Googled it and there's no mention of the error message.

Last edited:
The firestick uses Bluetooth not infra red. Unless you have a bluetoooth adaptor for the Harmony it will no work.

The firestick uses Bluetooth not infra red. Unless you have a bluetoooth adaptor for the Harmony it will no work.

I think that the hub-based Harmony remotes can control devices that use Bluetooth, found this on the Logitech website:
"HARMONY HUB
Harmony Hub centralizes command of all your devices by controlling them with IR, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® wireless signals. "

I think that the hub-based Harmony remotes can control devices that use Bluetooth, found this on the Logitech website:
"HARMONY HUB
Harmony Hub centralizes command of all your devices by controlling them with IR, Wi-Fi or Bluetooth® wireless signals. "

Pretty sure that bluetooth device control is limited to power on and off. No way it can add the other controls on the 4K remote.

Although it doesn't go into specifics of what functions will work, it does look like it will work:

You’ll be able to control the firestick via Bluetooth but it will need pairing with the hub in the firestick settings

You’ll be able to control the firestick via Bluetooth but it will need pairing with the hub in the firestick settings

Many thanks.

All set up and fully functional :)

It was a bit of a faff getting it to pair with my hub, but after that it was easy.

I watched a film last night and the lip sync was all over the place :(

Sometimes it was ok, then it wandered around from a couple of frames out to about half a second out at one point.

I couldn't compensate by adding a delay on my receiver as the sound was late and even if I could, it would be in sync here and there but not everywhere due to the variance.

It's plugged straight into my LG's HDMI 4, with the audio going to my receiver via ARC.

I'll try another movie tonight but wondered if anyone had any suggestions?

I've done the usual search but wasn't able to find anything about varying lip sync.

Not sure about the lip sync varying but feeding my LG oled sound out using either optical or ARC I always had delayed audio which was not correctable. I discovered that selecting pure direct on the Yamaha AVR gave me stereo audio without lip sync problems.
Playing with the audio format sent out by the Fire Stick or passed on by the TV might have the same result by giving the AV amp less audio processing to carry out.
Ultimately I ended up getting a new Denon AVR with eARC which seems to automatically solve this problem. In addition to automatic lip sync it can also be tweaked manually and independently for each HDMI input.

I’m afraid I went slightly crazy and bought the X4500h which cost a bit more than I had really wanted to spend. Previously I’ve always gone for the bargain basement offers from Richer Sounds but some of the less expensive units with eARC are getting hard to find in stock, so that was my excuse for going for a more mid range AVR.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom