Fire stick audio into 5.1 amp?

Pauliezx

Hello All,
Need some advice please on using an amazon fire stick. Basically, I can't work out how to get the sound to run through my yamaha 5.1 amp instead of the TV itself.

Current setup is a non smart Panasonic LED TV and and oldish yamaha 5.1 amp so the av gear is old and fire stick is new.

I currently run my ps4 audio into the amp via optical cable. The TV channel volume runs through the amp via scart cable, the amp does not have any hdmi or USB inputs.

The fire stick plugs into back of TV on a USB connection but that just gives audio to the TV speakers which are horrible. I don't really know how to get the firestick to run through the amp.

I know it's a case of using old tech with new tech but there's nothing actually wrong with the amp or TV so before I have to think about ditching them, is there any way to get it to work?

Thanks

KBD

If your TV doesn't have an output that can be sent to the amp, I think you're out of luck.
There are HDMI Audio-Extractors on the market, but I have zero experience using one & how effective they are.

Hoku

What audio outputs does your TV have?

My old Panasonic plasma circa 2012 had both optical output (which could handle multichannel), and stereo RCA analogue output.

If your TV has optical output, you could plug your PS4 and Firestick into the TV, using your TV as the input switcher, then use the optical out to your AV receiver.

To get this to work, you’ll need to look at the TV’s audio output settings. Set to bitstream, which should then output a multichannel signal. There is a potential though that your old AVR may not be able to process this if your TV is outputting newer formats. But it’s worth a try.

Failing that, set your TV optical output to stereo PCM. Your AVR should be perfectly capable of processing that. But you won’t have surround sound. But if your AVR can turn that into 2.1, it’s still probably a step up from what your TV sounds like.

And, if your TV does have a stereo analogue RCA output, again your AVR should at least be able to convert that to 2.1.

In short: plug your sources into the TV. Then the trick is finding the right audio output settings on your TV that your AVR can understand.

There’s also a “let’s throw money at this” solution of course: purchase a modern AV receiver. But that may not improve matters if your TV doesn’t have HDMI ARC output.

lyteroptes

Novice Member
If your TV doesn't have an output that can be sent to the amp, I think you're out of luck.
There are HDMI Audio-Extractors on the market, but I have zero experience using one & how effective they are.
I have a couple of these extractors passing the audio into the digital inputs of stereo amplifiers. They work well for 2 channel sound. I particularly like the Lindy one. I'm about to post a new thread regarding 5.1 sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD-OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom