Fire Place Alteration

Sparky83

Hi,

Me and the wife would like to install a wood burner into our existing fire place, the issue i think i might have is that the fire place we have at the moment is in the upstairs of a house, (its been converted into 2 flats) so the chimney breast itself seems to house both the chimney for our fire and also the one for the fire in the room (and flat) below.

Has anybody even done this to a breast with 2 flues in it? they seems to be completly seperate from each other but i wouldnt want to start hacking away at it and then go through into the chimney?

Any advice is helpful,

mail

This is our front room, you can see that the breast is bigger on one side than the other and i guess that its because the other flue is in this section?

danmc_82

Suspended
Is there supposed to be a picture up of your chimney breast?

njdbaxter

Hi,

Me and the wife would like to install a wood burner into our existing fire place, the issue i think i might have is that the fire place we have at the moment is in the upstairs of a house, (its been converted into 2 flats) so the chimney breast itself seems to house both the chimney for our fire and also the one for the fire in the room (and flat) below.

Has anybody even done this to a breast with 2 flues in it? they seems to be completly seperate from each other but i wouldnt want to start hacking away at it and then go through into the chimney?

Any advice is helpful,

This is our front room, you can see that the breast is bigger on one side than the other and i guess that its because the other flue is in this section?

you not the guy wanting to buy a council property? will you need to check with them first?

does it have a fully working functional fire place already, and is the flue 100%. Best to make sure first. i know someone who didnt :facepalm:

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
My first port of call might be a sweep, they could pop round and tell you what's what with your fireplace.

Sparky83

danmc_82 said:
Is there supposed to be a picture up of your chimney breast?

Hmmm strange not sure what's happened there!

Attachments

• image-2767383382.jpg
    image-2767383382.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 83

Sparky83

njdbaxter said:
you not the guy wanting to buy a council property? will you need to check with them first?

does it have a fully working functional fire place already, and is the flue 100%. Best to make sure first. i know someone who didnt :facepalm:

Yes that's me, just something we are thinking about doing as this place is soooo cold. They are looking at possibly putting cavity wall insulation in but aren't very forth coming.

Just wanted to know if it was likely to be possible, I'd get someone to do it anyway, well the roof part defiantly.

Sparky83

Reviving an oldish thread of mine as its something we are thinking about doing again.

What I want to know, is by looking at the (poor) picture further up the thread, can you buy covers that cover the complete front of the fire place and have a door.

We have an open fire but wood prefer a closed in fire as I guess it'll stop the ash etc going everywhere.

Any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom