• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Fire in home...is my plasma going to be ok

Can anyone help me...

On bank holiday monday I came home to a fire in the kitchen - caused by a faulty dishwasher...

The kitchen was quite alight and the house was full of black smoke - the firebrigade managed to put it out before the house was really badly damaged...

We have been staying with relatives since the fire but when returning today to meet the insurance assesor (who didnt even turn up...) found a thick layer of black soot over everything in the house

So my question is would this smoke and soot damage or weaken any electrical items such as my speakers and plasma tv? - As the power is off nothing has been turned back on yet

Should I be claiming from the insurance for replacement items? If the smell of the house is anything to go by I dont think I could put up with the smell from the tv in the future if when it gets warm it will smell...

Anyone have any advice?

Thanks

airmyx

Established Member
If your TV has a lot of vents the smoke may have left a nasty residue on the various circuit boards inside.

I would expect in the short term that it would keep on operating regardless but it certainly isn't desirable.

Before the smoking ban, bars & nightclubs had to factor in 'smoke damage' from cigarettes etc effecting the equipment.

It is possible to open & clean plasma TVs that have been subject to this kind of abuse but for a typical consumer / insurance holder - it seems if you have ligitimate concerns re- smoke smell etc then it would be best to try to pursue a claim if you can.

Its a panasonic 50ph9 and has loads of vents and fans - it has a layer of something on the screen also...

thanks for the advice

once the insurance people turn up I will mention to them about my concerns

I dont want to temp fate but theres a chance atleast one of my screens may be replaced (I have 3 plasmas in the house...)

Havent kept ontop of which screens are worth looking at...so my question is this

For about £1500 what 50" panasonic screen would you replace my ageing 50ph9 with?

AndyVt30

Prominent Member
I dont want to temp fate but theres a chance atleast one of my screens may be replaced (I have 3 plasmas in the house...)

Havent kept ontop of which screens are worth looking at...so my question is this

For about £1500 what 50" panasonic screen would you replace my ageing 50ph9 with?

i would try and get a vt30 but that would be around £2000 or just below.
or there the gt30 around that price range but with no 3d glasses.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom