Fire HD 10 Post Update Performance nosedive

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Hi tablet guru's,

So I think it was a couple of weeks back now that Amazon pushed a new update to their 'Fire' tablet range.

I have a Gen 9 Fire HD 10 (2019 release) and since this latest update the performance of my device, and that of my kids HD 8, has taken a massive nosedive!! I mean, it's neon un-usable now even after power cycles. It's just so painfully slow to do anything, whereas before the update it was absolutely rapid.

What on earth has gone wrong here?

Surely this isn't another case that this latest software is really only made for the latest 11th gen of FIRE tablets and thus older generations will suffer, forcing you to part with cash to upgrade?

Can I somehow factory reset it to get it back to its original ver and prevent any further OS updates to it?

depot

Do you have google play store on your fire tablet, mine had gone very slow as well, i did a factory reset, and it’s better, I could never describe it as quick, but it’s ok when just using the silk browser, won’t be putting google back on it.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Do you have google play store on your fire tablet, mine had gone very slow as well, i did a factory reset, and it’s better, I could never describe it as quick, but it’s ok when just using the silk browser, won’t be putting google back on it.
Ah yes... you may be on to something here depot.. Sideloaded Google Play onto it a while back to get some Apps like 'Chrome' (preferred browser for bookmark syncing across all my devices) that weren't available within the Amazon Store.

Might do the same as you then, factory reset it and keep just the Amazon supported apps so as not to go through the grief again.

Cheers, well spotted. :thumbsup:

depot

Well worth trying, I’ve only had mine a couple of months and put google on straight away, never been impressed with the speed of it, but it had gotten very slow recently, i factory reset it, put animations to .5 and limited background process to a max of 2, and now just using the silk browser, it’s pretty good for web browsing.

IL Cattivo

Distinguished Member
Here is the latest way to load Google and other extra's Better implemented process...

ice
Just tried that on my Fire HD 10 9th Generation and FireToolbox v17.1 throws up errors on initiation after the tablet is connected to the PC. (With USB Debugging enabled, per the vid)

1622998537666.png

I have reported it in the XDA Developers forum to see what I get in terms of fixing it so that the rest of the processes proceed with modifying the tablet, as currently it doesn't change a thing while this error is present.

icemanonline

Distinguished Member
Just tried that on my Fire HD 10 9th Generation and FireToolbox v17.1 throws up errors on initiation after the tablet is connected to the PC. (With USB Debugging enabled, per the vid)

View attachment 1523787

I have reported it in the XDA Developers forum to see what I get in terms of fixing it so that the rest of the processes proceed with modifying the tablet, as currently it doesn't change a thing while this error is present.
That's not good. Didn't the guy on the video say he had to do it few times before it all worked ok? Sure he did.

I would try again..... We just did this with 2 10inch tablets from QVC, worked perfect.

Good luck, hope you get it sorted.

Ice

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom