Question Fire Cube or Apple TV 4k? 24hz and 4k menus?

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking at these options, I know with my old first gen Fire TV 4k the menus were in 1080p (WebOS on my LG TV looks pin sharp by comparison...but I can't use WebOS as I have constant audio issues...another story). I also remember my old fire tv was frustrating, with regular frame drops on all content in Netflix.

Looking for a new streamer with Dolby Vision, and I'm thinking of either the Fire Cube (£80) or Apple TV 4k (£150). Big difference in price I must admit, but do either of these devices address frame matching issues and are the netflix/prime menus in 1080p or 4k?

Thanks!

The ATV 4K does frame rate matching and I've never seen any issues when using it. However it only does 23.976fps and NOT 24fps. So if you intend to watch a lot of 24fps content then this may not be the best option for you.
Will you use the device for streaming only or will you want to watch local media? If you want to stream local media then you should consider getting Infuse Pro for the ATV

Regards,
Mark.

Thanks Mark. I have a Zappiti 4K player for streaming Blu-ray and UHD Blu-ray rips.

what 24fps content is there out there?

I also recently bought a shield tv which I’ve been watching The Christmas Chronicles 2 on tonight...and the frame drops on Netflix are horrendous!

Hmm infuse 6 looks like it could replace my Zappiti 😳

Hmm infuse 6 looks like it could replace my Zappiti 😳

I thought the same but the Apple TV can't do proper Atmos, only dolby digital plus.

Also for the most part I don't notice that many programs with the 24fps bug but it is present, maybe 1 in 10 or 15.

The Apple TV is the best streamer I've used though and offers the best picture quality out of them all, I tried the cube but I preferred the Apple TV worts and all.

Atmos doesn’t bother me but TrueHD/DTS-MA is essential - can the Apple output that? (Thinking of my media library)

Atmos doesn’t bother me but TrueHD/DTS-MA is essential - can the Apple output that? (Thinking of my media library)

No, only lossy sound tracks and Dolby only I believe, it's really only suitable as a streaming device, if you want to play MKV's etc with the best quality audio then you will need to stick with the Zappiti.

I use mine for Netflix, Amazon, Apple TV+, Disney and plan to use my Oppo or another media player for MKV's

It can do TrueHD and DTS-MA no problem with Plex. It decodes them to FLAC and everything is output by the Apple TV as multichannel LPCM. It’s true that it can’t do Atmos with TrueHD, but regular TrueHD works fine, and even Atmos TrueHD will output losslessly but the Atmos metadata will be lost.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom