1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fiofth Element Superbit. DTS or DD better?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Jules, Apr 20, 2003.

1. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    Just curious what the rest of you think who have the superbit version of the Fifth Element. Which soundtrack do you prefer, DTS or DD?

FE was one of my first dics on DVD and is still one of my most played, especially the scenes leading upto "She Dove off" (Ch 8).
    Its still a belting domonstration (Region 1 though, not the crappy region 2) that leaves more recent DVD's for dust.

If I crank the vol up really load I prefer DTS for its better seperation, but most of the time I prefer DD. Its a more rounded sound with better midrange and a tad more bass.

If you listen to the strings in Ch 8 just before she dives off (in the front right channel) the DTS track sounds really quite weedy IMO!

I'm actually finding I prefer DD to DTS at moderate levels on nearly all my discs that have both. The only exeption being those with a DTS ES discreet soundtrack.

Care to comment?
    Jules

2. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    I found the DTS track on FE Superbit to be a little shrill at times, and the DD track is preferable on this disc. However the German R2 version (yes it still has the poor transfer), has a blinding DTS-ES track which is the best mix for the movie I have heard, my second favourite mix for the movie is the original R1 release in DD, and the transfer is just as good as the Superbit release.

3. Jules

Jules

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +721
    I had the original R1 aswell, and thought the DD track was pretty much identical to the superbit. If anything I'd say the superbit DD track has a slight edge (as you'd expect).
    I also think the picture is 'slightly' better on the Superbit version.

I hope so anyway, 'cos I've just given the original version away!

4. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Got to be DTS for me. It's better than both DD tracks on the Superbit & the R2 french disc I owned prior to buying the Superbit.

5. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Everyone knows DTS is Pro Logic with tone controls and a big volume knob. Oooer!

6. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Oh dear! I must be going deaf if DTS sounds like that to me :mad: :devil: :rolleyes: That's it, my Sony 940 is going back to RS for a refund - I didn't want a pro-logic receiver :nono: :p

7. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hah! It ain't that easy. See, it might be Pro Logic but it's BADGED as DTS. You try and prove it and you'll disappear! Mark my words.

8. kevb

kevb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    The DD track is far better on this disk IMO.

9. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    The DD track on the r1 Original and the Superbit are both the same, using the same compression rate. 486kbps. So they will be identical.

10. Dick Scratcher

Dick Scratcher

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Not necessarily so. Whilst the DD track may have been lifted directly from the R1 release and dropped into the Superbit disc in this particular case, there is no correlation between compression rate and audio quality between sound sampled at the same rate. The mastering of the audio track is critical to sound quality, therefore sound that is poorly mastered will still sound poor compared to well mastered sound at the same compression rate.

11. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    No, they aren't. Neither runs at 486kbps: the original R1 release was 384kbps and the Superbit uses 448kbps Dolby Digital.

I marginally prefer the Dolby Digital soundtrack on the Superbit disc, but the differences between the DTS and Dolby Digital tracks on this disc (and every other Superbit I have heard for that matter) are so small as to inconsequential (to my ears, in any case).

Adam

12. Grimley

Grimley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You could be right, my three front teeth have disappeared already.....:devil: :p :D

13. ELV

ELV

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I too prefer the dd track pity there's no DD-EX though.
    On a different note however the picture on the region 1 superbit is stunning compared to the region 2 which my mate bought it's a pity the studios can't get them this good first time round but hey ,then they would'nt make so much money.
    But thats another story.