1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finlux TV - Progressive Scan ?

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by Badger, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking at the Loewe's , but have decided to wait a while longer - to see if Prog scan arrived and/or the Aconda price came down a bit.

Anyway, I was looking round to see if a grey import set would be an option and I came across this - I've no idea as to the quality/cost or if it even does progressive scan.

ebay showed up one, which suggested an rrp of 1500 - but not much else. Are they just trying to flog 100Hz as PS, or have I misunderstood something.

anyone got anything to say about it or any comments ?

Phil

2. encaser

encaser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    The sites - both prima one you list, and Finlux home site - state prog scan. Interestingly they both also list VGA connection, but don't say anything about resolutions. Also no mention of RGB and no component input. Looks like they're going for a bit of an Aconda style. Never heard of them though.
    Perhaps some of the Swedish posters on here may have?

3. brattle

brattle
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The site says the set has three scarts. Without component or RGB through seperate phonos or BNC, the set won't accept a prog scan input. The prog scan must be an internal deinterlacer.

It also mentions VGA, but doesn't say anything about a VGA input which is wierd. Maybe this is added in a card like the Loewes.

4. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks for the comments so far

I've dug around a bit more and have found somewhere in the UK selling them - 1200 quid. This states 1 RGB input on the scarts which is the only downside in the spec so far so far - No component input. I'm note sure as to the quality of the information on this site though. It seems that the VGA input is standard.

All of this (as noted above) suggests either

a) the progressive is via the vga input
    or
    b) an internal line doubler

Now would a doubler inside the tv not be as good as the doubler inside the a progressive player ? Wouldn't one inside the TV be better because all input could/would be PSed ?

Onto the VGA question - a trawl of deja produces a few likely posts - but all of them are in one of the scandanavian languages, so no help there.

I'll send a message to prima asking for more info

Phil

5. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Had a Finlux TV about 8yrs ago it was called the sky design.....detachable side speakers and you could tilt the set back on it's stand it was well advanced for the time haven't heard of them in ages........replaced that with a Nordmende set...........i was well impressed with this one, the cabinet it stood on was a sub bass and on top of the cabinet was a video compartment, down the side of each speaker was a coloured strip which you could change depending on the decor of your room....how cool is that....! Nordmende use to do video projectors don't know if they still do......

6. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've looked round the internet a little more and have had a reply from Prima, looks pretty good so far

RGB Scarts

Two of the scart sockets will take R.G.B Scart 1 & 2

S-Video Scarts

Scart 1 Only

Composite

Yes all Three Scarts are composite video compatible

Component

Scart 2 supports component signals

Progressive Scan

Unfortunately we can not clarify how the progressive scan is done

VGA

the resolution for the VGA input is
    640x480 at 60Hz
    440x400 at 70Hz
    640x350 at 70Hz
    720x400 at 70Hz

All this still sounds reasonable but the set is pretty new so is only available from them directly at the moment - no details as to who has them. I'll post a link to this the PS forum to see if someone else can help.

Phil

7. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    anyone got any idea where I might find one of these to look at ?

Phil

8. SteveCac

SteveCac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Any luck in finding anyone Badger?
    I'm thinking about a Finlux, as from what I can make out in Swedish, they seem to rate them OK.

9. Badger

Badger
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    nah - I just got an Aconda instead in the end as the only 2 sources were both questionable (ebay and a weird website) and the suppliers seemd to know very little

Phil

10. SteveCac

SteveCac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    AFAIK Finlux have only just started selling to the UK again, and can't find anyone to translate swedish. I'm still interested because ideally I need a set to fit in a confined space and it does the job.