Finishing off custom pc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Studentmac, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Looking to get a new pc, wanting to be faster, use less energy and be as close to silent as possible.

My current pc is a decent quad core, but it is excessively noisey and thinking its time for a whole new system.

specs of the bundle I think I am wanting to buy is below, dont like the cap on the ram speed, but for £265 its not bad, compared to say an i7.

General feedback is great but mainly trying to find the other bits to make this as low energy and quiet as possible, looking at "silent" fans and liquid cool but liquid cool energy use seems too high for a start.

Thanks for your help.

________________________________________________________________________________________

AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz Processor FD8120FRGUBOX Socket AM3+

Asus M5A78L-M USB3 HDMI Motherboard - Socket AM3

8GB DDR3 1333MHZ RAM Memory

AMD Bulldozer FX-8120 8 Core 3.10GHz Processor FD8120FRGUBOX Socket AM3+
    AMD FX 8-Core Processor Black Edition

Experience the world’s first native 8-core desktop processor.
    Immerse yourself in the most advanced 3D games.
    Achieve extreme mega-tasking with ease.
    Multiplier Unlocked
    Eight Core Technology
    3.10GHz Clock Speed
    4.00GHz Turbo Clock Speed
    5.2 GT/s System Bus
    AM3+ Socket
    8MB L2 Cache
    8MB L3 Cache
    64-Bit Technology
    TDP: 125W
    Voltage: 0.975v - 1.4125v
    32nm technology
    Integrated memory controller upto 29.8GB/sec
    Support upto 1866MHz DDR3
    HyperTransport 3.0 Technology
    AMD Virtualization (AMD-V) Technology
    3 Year Warranty

2. baker025p

baker025p

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +28
  3. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    What you think case wise (lots of expansion slots which is a big plus as want lots of usb, esata and so on)

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=silent_pc_case.html

and for PSU

http://www.endpcnoise.com/cgi-bin/e/std/sku=nexus_quiet_power_supply.html

the 630w is also decent, costs a lot more and im trying to get it as low energy as possible.

Little worried I might neutralise better performance and computer cooling by making it low energy and silent(ish)

two people I know who are pc orientated one says these look good the other says case isn't great as hard drives are mounted in the rear instead of in the side. which means the cables will hang over the board and can get of the way of the ram connectors and graphics card.

also been recomended to buy a quiet, cheap and high power psu http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/winpo...-dual-cpu-atx12v-connector-retail-p-4669.html

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  4. betelgeus

betelgeus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    i would be interested in your current pc,you may be able to make it virtually silent with an aftermarket cpu and gpu cooler and maybe a big cooling fan,unless you feel its time for an upgrade.

the case looks like very good value,except i dont like that front fan but dont buy that cheap psu.

also is not the psu mounted on the bottom of the case therefore your gpu would be much higher than the hdd cage

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  5. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    What is your current setup and what do you use your PC for?

For silent cases, here are a few to look at,

Antec P280 Super Midi Tower Case
    Fractal Design Define R3 Midi Tower Case
    Fractal Design Define XL USB3.0 Full Tower Case - Black Pearl

6. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Current pc works quite well but its a bit on an antique

Intel core 2 Quad
    2gb ram
    geforce 8300 GS

I use my laptop mainly, for emails, on the net, office and even basic games

I have 2 harddrives plugged into my pc a 2Tb and a 1Tb, at the moment my pc cant handle it but one of them can go through esata, believe the other is usb 3.0 but im not 100% on that, they have everything on them.

My pc is mainly used for downloads, in theory it was a gaming system but xbox and ps3 do that now.

Pc is hooked up on network to another pc in the house, laptop, ps3, xbox and smart tv. Online tv is through tv not through pc but downloaded media is from my pc.

I would like to get back into a few games on pc again, for that ill prob use one of the 2 tv's I have but might buy a new monitor later so ideally wanting a few hmdi ports, the bundle I have only has 1 but assuming I will be able to add more when I add esata etc.

So its almost a server that can act as a pc when need be, want it quiet and low energy so that I can leave it on overnight to download, or it can be virtually sleeping but still able to watch something from tv remote and in future access files when im out the house.

7. BlAdEAnGeL

BlAdEAnGeL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I personally would never buy cheap PSU, they are cheap for a reason and ususally cannot provide stable supply when under load, I had few friends with cheap psu's and they had some issues. If I was you add the power requirement for all your compnents (e.g if all your bits need say 300 Watts add a 100W to be safe) When I build my machines I always get the better PSU plus if you ugrade say a graphics card you will have room to play with, something like this: 600W Corsair Builder Series 600CX V2 Power Supply - Aria Technology And has added bonus of being modular so you only use the cables you need allowing the air to cool your components.

I have a 750W PSU, something along these lines:750W Corsair TX750 V2 ATX2.3 SLI/Crossfire Compliant Power Supply - Aria Technology currently running intel C2D [email protected], nvidia 275GTX, 8 gb of ram, audigy2 EX, blu-ray player drive, and about 4 drives in the machine running. I'm in the process of upgrading to i7 with 16gb ram and for the time being keeping current card (this will be upgraded soon)

Just mu view on this. :thumbsup:

8. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I did want a good i7 and if I want back to 18 year old me it would be worth it but now cant justify it.

Corsair look good, found a nice 600w one that I like, what are alpine like as a make?

from what I have seen think the "finishing touches" as I called them are going to cost more than the bundle.

9. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,350
    What about an i5?

Those bulldozer chips really are shocking.

10. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    shocking how?

11. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +10,350
    There's too many links to mention. Threads on this forum, all over the net really. The bulldozer chips were a massive let down.

Search google for amd bulldozer review, fail, etc etc.

12. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    All the reviews ive seen are positive, the big negative (which is something my own processor has the same issue on) is that software cant take advantage of every one of the cores.

So though that means I play some old games that take an age as they can only use 1 core, it should at least mean I can dedicate cores to tasks (correct me if I am wrong, which I very well may be)

13. shadowboxer

shadowboxer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +196
    I agree that for your needs, basic PC, home-server, perhaps casual gaming... that Bulldozer is a shocking choice! It's power consumption is very high and it totally not needed for what you will be using it for. Most games today can only utilize two cores and reviews have shown that an Intel Sandy Bridge i3 2100/2120 Dual Core when paired up with a decent graphics card will be only a few % slower than the i5-2500K. If you do think you need the extra power then the i5-2500K would be a much better choice. I honestly think though that the i3 is much suited to your particular needs. Also as people have mentioned above, don't get a cheap PSU. They won't output the stated power and come with little protection, ie if it does go bang then it may take out your motherboard, cpu, ram or graphics card! Decent PSU's will last 5 years + so well worth the investment!

14. Sniper Ash6

Sniper Ash6
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,609
    From someone who currently has one, go for an Intel setup. Their efficiency is better than Bulldozer's along with single threaded performance and a fair few multi-threaded tasks performing better.

15. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Enough said,

So if I scrap that bundle what would you suggest,

i3 and 5 dont seem to be much an improvement for the cost

16. Studentmac

Studentmac

Products Owned: