Finishing my build

RoToQ

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I need some advice to finish my build. I'm building the following when my parts arrive:

i5 2500k

Kingston 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600MHz HyperX XMP Memory Kit CL9 1.65V - Qty: 1

Seagate 3TB Barracuda Hard Drive - 3.5" SATA-III - 7200RPM 64MB Cache -1

Coolermaster Elite 330 Case With Coolermaster eXtreme Power 500W PSU - Qty: 1

Samsung SH-222BB 22x DVD±RW DL & RAM SATA Optical Drive - OEM Black - Qty: 1

Asus P8Z68-M PRO Motherboard (M-ATX)

OCZ AGT3-25SAT3-120G Agility 3 120GB SATA III 2.5 inch SSD

All I need is a decent cooler (looking at the Coolermaster hyper 212 plus) and a cheapish graphics card for moderate gaming, nothing spectacular. If you could recommend a wireless keyboard and mouse I'd also appreciate it, as this pcs main function will be as a media pc, but I want to be able to play games on it too.

Thanks in advance

Just bought Arctic freezer 7 pro and two antec tricool 120mm case fans as my budget is running low. Just need a gfx card now. I'm going to keep an eye out for a sapphire 6670 or an Asus gtx 550 ti if my budget can stretch. Anyone have either of these cards?

I went to buy the 6850 about an hour ago. Unfortunately 10 delivery surcharge because I live in northern Ireland. I'll have a look about but a lot of places charge extra for Ni. I should have just got my card from ebuyer with other bits and pieces :-(

Thanks btw

I recently put together a near identical system to yours which is the same as my friends, but his 2500k memory controller was fried cuz of using 1.65v ram. Intel would not replace his 2 month old CPU because of this. If you look at the 2500k specs on intels website it says the supported ram speeds are also 1066/1333mhz, so using 1600mhz would count as an over lock and therefore avoid warranty.

I recently put together a near identical system to yours which is the same as my friends, but his 2500k memory controller was fried cuz of using 1.65v ram. Intel would not replace his 2 month old CPU because of this. If you look at the 2500k specs on intels website it says the supported ram speeds are also 1066/1333mhz, so using 1600mhz would count as an over lock and therefore avoid warranty.

Oh dear, I don't like the sound of this. Have read of other people running memory at 1.65V and higher with the 2500k though with no issues. Can anyone else confirm this issue?

Just ordered a used MSI R6850 Cyclone. So just the potential memory issue to sort and my xbox 360 to sell and I'm all done.

Oh dear, I don't like the sound of this. Have read of other people running memory at 1.65V and higher with the 2500k though with no issues. Can anyone else confirm this issue?

With the right motherboard you're perfectly fine running higher speed ram with the 2500k. I have an Asus Z68 board with my 2500k and i'm running 1600MHz RAM at 1.56v with no problems. Trying to run RAM at 1.65V is stupid and I would recommend NOT doing that. :nono: I could run even higher RAM speeds as my BIOS supports them, but I'm happy with what I have right now. Here's a link below with a guy asking the same question.

[Solved] Intel i5 2500k Max supported Ram Speed - Asus - Motherboards-Memory

Do I need new ram or can I run the ram I bought at 1.5v?

The Kingston RAM you have should run fine. You may need to set it up to run at 1600MHz in your BIOS. It depends on your mobo and how it auto detects the RAM. Sometimes it will default to a lower speed. If it does, just go into BIOS and set the RAM timings and speed to suit. The voltage should be fine at about 1.55v.

I've just took some images of my RAM settings in BIOS. It might help you if you're unsure and need to set it up manually. Obviously, your RAM timings may differ, I havn't checked the timings for your sticks.

120807113552-1.jpg

120807113703-1.jpg

Thanks guys. Been putting off this build for about a year because I couldn't justify the outlay but my laptop has given up after 4 years of abuse so I'm guilt free :)

Parts should all arrive by Thursday :)

Saw the Freezer 13 on offer for £12 and bought it. Its out of stock so might take 1-2 months to arrive but is it much better than the Freezer 7 PRO?

All built except my ssd didn't come with brackets :-( so waiting on that.

The fan n my freezer 7 pro isn't seen by my mobo, but the standard one works fine. Anyone any advice?? It spins a few times on boot up then just sits there, while the cpu idles at 58-60 C. Would updating my bios help? Or does this mean the fan was doa?

Thanks ;-)

Also, I get a cpu fan error, press f1 to enter setup, but only with the freezer 7 pro fan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom